Potterton Promax gas pressure problem | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Potterton Promax gas pressure problem in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening All,

I've been defeated by a Potterton Promax combi today and I'm a sore loser!
When there's a demand for heat it lights with an explosive ignition then it immediately shuts off and then repeats in a continuous cycle on/off. There's no fault code, the spark gap is correct and all electrical tests were okay. When I checked the inlet pressure I had only 16mb on the heating so I whipped off the valve and blew out the filter. It's all pointing to a gas pressure problem. There's 21mb wp at the meter. The boiler's in the kitchen with a gas hob and there's a gas fire in the living room. The customer has also complained about the fire going off regularly after 10 minutes or so. When I serviced the boiler in March it was at 18mb on hot water and now it's down to 14mb. All the pipework is buried in concrete. I just don't understand how the pressure has suddenly dropped and I'm not convinced it's not a valve or PCB fault. Any advice welcomed.

Jock

I’d possibly be checking the meter regulator then, 21mbar working, but could be sticking, especially when you say the gas fire goes out. Light the hotplates on the hob and goes to fire boiler, if the hotplates extinguish, then I’d say meter regulator fault.

I’d possibly be checking the meter regulator then, 21mbar working, but could be sticking, especially when you say the gas fire goes out. Light the hotplates on the hob and goes to fire boiler, if the hotplates extinguish, then I’d say meter regulator fault.

I had Transco check the regulator and they okayed it. I think there must be some carbon deposits (or whatever) in a section of the pipe to the boiler. I'm thinking of using my 18 volt pump to try and push it through.

Similar plumbing topics

I mean you can test with a multi meter on the...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, thanks for your answer. It does not have...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
I think I’d be suspecting the pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
It worked... maybe the boiler has a non return...
Replies
Views
Back