Potterton puma 80e | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Potterton puma 80e in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anyone any experience of potterton puma 80e firing up by itself when the power switch is turned on. But if you open the hot water is gives red hot water, When the taps are turned off it goes to lock out.

Thanks in advance

i think its telling you that its had enough and wants you to take it to that special place in switzerland where they help move you on to the afterlife.

i think its telling you that its had enough and wants you to take it to that special place in switzerland where they help move you on to the afterlife.
Sorry did I forget to mention only reply if you want to help!!

Sorry did I forget to mention only reply if you want to help!!

no you weren't that specific,its a puma it was tat when new it wont have matured with age cut your losses get a new boiler or take out a service plan with BAXI and remember you are being given good advice this boilers a mare

no you weren't that specific,its a puma it was tat when new it wont have matured with age cut your losses get a new boiler or take out a service plan with BAXI and remember you are being given good advice this boilers a mare

i thank you.....

if you have no sense of humor then i possibly wouldn't use this forum as you will get comments like mine all the time....sorry if i offended you some how.

yes the problem is the boiler is stuck in hot water mode which can be proved by the red neon being lit, replace micro switch which may have water damage , simple job to do

Anyone any experience of potterton puma 80e firing up by itself

Thanks in advance

As gasmarc says Nas .... Hot water microswitch is usually the cause but could be down to sticking spindle/wtr leak on the water housing.:)

Thanks for the replies fellas. I did check the micro switch and it was stuck in the on position. What confused me was the water pressure swictch was NC and I wasnt sure if the Micro switch was also supposed to be NC. But the Micro switch definitely didnt change state.

Apologies for the sense of humour failure last night. Had been a stressfull day.

First thing to do is to make sure there is no hot water demand at all.
You can do this by either making sure ALL the hot taps in the house are COMPLETELY shut, or shutting the cold supply to the boiler completely off.

Best time to do this is when you are sure you won't need hot water any more for the day, and then leave it overnight. Check in the morning if the boiler has gone to lock out, and if not, see if the taps get stinking hot straight away.

If you are wondering whether you should follow some of the above advice about ditching this boiler and buying a new one, read this first.

Potterton Puma Combi Boiler Repair in Dulwich

so your a puma super hero and the rest of us are wrong how much is the main heat exchanger again????or has it crossed your mind most people have had a guts full of them being unreliable and want to replace them or the agro and costs involved taking one of the wall to change the wax cartridge how do you manage there disturbing the flue when the gaskets are obsolete??????and a final point advertising your business on here IS NOT free speak to admin and pay like the other sponsers

Just to conclude this post and thank all those who helped. The boiler is Fixed (for now). The new microswitch did the trick.

Thanks again

Ive never had to take a puma of the wall to change a wax cartridge, no wonder you hate them if your doing that.

thanks nas sorry for the rant mate but i have spent many a hour repairing these boilers they are night mares the advice i give you was to go direct to BAXI as it works out more economical for you if a few parts are playing up

Not seen a puma for a while,but used to see absolutely loads,and rarely had much trouble fixing most.The pcb was badly designed,the main N connection burns away,sometimes destroying the whole board and wiring loom.

Just out of curiosity, How's the puma DHW flow switch constructed? Is it the rubber diaphragm type?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

fill only to 1bar when cold.
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, thanks for your answer. It does not have...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
If it’s just the red light flashing, then I’d...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Hi Santhosh. I recommend you get a G3 plumber...
Replies
Views
Back