Power flush and new rads | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Power flush and new rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybo_1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Evening,

Been asked by my barber to fit him 5 new radiators downstairs and power flush his system. I've never had to do both on the same job. So I'm looking for advice on what to do first. I'm thinking of flushing the system first and then fitting radiators onto a clean system. Am I right?

I like Rybo-1's approach. While agreed most of the sludge is in the radiators, to fit the new ones then flush it would move any sludge remaining in the pipework through the new radiators. Shouldn't really matter but why take the risk?

Are there other radiators upstairs, and / or a boiler. Do these need to be flushed through to avoid old sludge being carried into the new radiators?

An alternative would be to remove the old radiators, cap the flow and return to all but the index radiator and bridge flow and return at the index. Then just flush the pipework.

I was thinking of removing the radiators which are changing and linking them up but Im currently seeing that as a bit of waste of time. Yea there are rads upstairs and boiler.

I’d make up a dedicated set of radiator connecter bridge pipes which I’d connect to all radiator pipework then power flush, new rad fit thereafter to a 100% clean system.
Keep dedicated pipes stored at home and bring out every time I had to power flush for new rads etc.
You’d build up a few varied lengths of pipe; a handy collection of dedicated connector pipes for said jobs.

Last edited:
Remove rads & run a hose from each valve until water runs clear,then fit new rads.You will know by the first 2 how bad the system is.I really don"t see the point in p/flushing rads which are going in the skip.

Remove radiators leaving old valves in place, connect each rads valves together using hose or plastic pipe, flush systems, remove hose and old valves and install new valves and radiators.

Why not change the rads first then just leave all the new rad valves on the new rads shut when you powerflush afterwards and not flush the new rads

oops, wasn't really thinking, been a long day. :disappointed:

For some reason I was just thinking of clearing sludge in the rads and wasn't thinking of the pipework

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hardly surprising BG do a lot of power flushes...
Replies
Views
Hello, it might be worth phoning the boiler...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
S
Type of boiler, did it all work before new...
Replies
Views
Back