Power Flushing for new boiler. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Power Flushing for new boiler. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a system boiler is being changed for a combi boiler and all the radiators are changed should the remaining pipes require a power flush to maintain the boiler warranty?

depends on the condition of the pipework powerflushing isnt compulsory most manufacturers specify cleaning the system and then inhibitor but if your system is full of black gunk then obviously it will need more cleaning
if the system has always been sealed it will possibly just need cleanser

Am not a fan of powerflushing reason being have worked for a company in the past and with all new boiler upgrades they would do a power flush . This more often than not would lead to minor weeps on valves and in some cases blowing fittings apart which doesnt go down well if the house is tip top condition .
IMHO and experience if the system is full of gunk then lift off rads individually and wash through , then apply cleaners to do the job and along with a filter you then should be good for boiler upgrade

Oh personally think your better with a system boiler as never think its good advice to change to a combi .

Oh personally think your better with a system boiler as never think its good advice to change to a combi .
The customer has requested a combi boiler, it is quite a small house and he wants to free up space. I am not Gas Safe so passed on to a colleague who is. In his quote he includes a full power flush, as all the radiators are being changed I thought this may be an overkill and a good manual flush once everything is finished would suffice, a magnabooster is being fitted.

Who does use a powerflusher every time you do a boiler swop? It does certainly add on 3/4 of a day. As said before I think if its from an open vent to a sealed system it is a good idea but sealed to sealed just add a cleaner for a bit and then flush a few times with the filling loop and add inhibitor.

a powerflush is probably overkill unless the pipework is found to be in a bad state.

As regards powerflushing causing leaks, they do find leaks, but these are normally leaks that are due to happen anyway. Most powerflush machines run under less pressure than the system normally operates (for sealed systems) so if the system cant handle the pressure from a powerflush then it wont from a new sealed system for very long. Atleast theres a heating engineer there at the time to sort the problem out.

If the system has always been sealed and did not require frequent topping up during its life then there will be very little sludge. We did our local village hall,sealed system,low loss header and 3 big circuits. Barely a smudge on the magnets. This system had been in service for over 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, it might be worth phoning the boiler...
Replies
Views
Thanks, yes I will ask him when he comes in a...
Replies
Views
J
As per John, you need to check the outgoing...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
In that case, just get the Mechanical Engineer...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all, I have a viessmann vitoden 100 w...
Replies
Views
Abbie S
A
Back