power flushing micro bore | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss power flushing micro bore in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafeGasInstall

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Have been asked to perform power flush on micro bore system and change all radiator valves !

Pipe work is in 10mm copper to the rads .

Any one ever done micro bore power flush ?

Just need any advice possible .

System is clean and all radiators work ok according to customer , i have not check them but will if I get the job !

Pump is located i the loft where they have a UHWC installed .

Thank you for all your replays in advance !

Having taken the old system apart (one I referred to in another post) I suggest that you take it easy, if possible do the pipes to one rad at a time.

When you check the system if the rads appear to have a build up in them as you are changing the valves it might be a good idea to take the rads outside and flush them individually to prevent any built up crud from blocking the pipes.

The biggest problem in that old system was at the manifolds, the dirt had built up at the joints over time causing the system to stop working.

For what its worth I would not treat it as a normal / standard power flush, you might get lucky and everything work fine however if I was asked to price it I would allow for that extra time by telling the customer the pipes may be blocked and price by the hour.

It could be one of those jobs where it makes sense to fit a Magnaclean and cleanser leave it for a few days and come back to see if it is picking up much magnatite under normal use.

I hope the above is of some help to you.

I never powerflush microbore. I've seen too many where the machine has forced a lump of crud into a branch pipe and blocked it completely. Chemical flush and backflush from the radiators if you suspect that a pipe is partially blocked.

Strong cleaner (F5) and inline fillter leave for a week then flush out. micro bore a pita to PF

I think I am going to speak to customer and provide tthem with quote to manually flush all rads and fit a magna clean + X800 x 2 for a week then drain down an refill system ! Don't want to start flushing and have my pf in the loft !
Property is a 4 bed house not a HA , so I have to be really careful with the carpets !

Do what you said above Stan, power flushing microbore is a pointless task, you can't get a high enough flow rate through it to clean the rad correctly. Take the rads outside with a hose on and tap them with a rubber mallet agitates more out than a flush. I think some manufacturers don't recommend it anyway.

Def put the Magnaclean on you're spot on then.

I have never pf a microbore. Asking for trouble.
As already stated, remove rads and flush independently. You could still use pf machine for this part, or take outside and flush with a hose.
Magnaclean a definite as well as plenty of x800 a few weeks before.
If the system is clean, why do they want a powerflush? BG advice maybe?

They have few rad valves that are leaking and want all rad valves changed and trv to go on every rad ! System is 20y old never had any work done to it

Power flushing on micro bore is ok as long as you get flow direction right. Perhaps explaining to customer pf isn't best, and why may be a good idea. You do to want to lose the job because you won't do it. All the ideas as above sound good to me. I'd still price for the pf as an alternative just in case they've got it In there head that's what they want, need.

If they do want it done just put it writing that its not a process you recommend and any problems that arise will be charged as extras

Hi Stan, is the system open or sealed? Why have they asked for it to be flushed, maybe they've taken advice elsewhere?

As long as the system hasn't been pumping over any time in those 20 years it should clean up okay IMO! Droppers are a mare to flush as they need additional attention. Big difference between open and sealed also as there's more chance of issues if the system has been an open one!

Personally I'd ask them to put the heating on 20 mins before you go to quote! That way you can verify that the system is heating up okay, no cold spots etc. :)

My best advice would be listen to that little voice inside you as you're walking around and checking out the system! If it's doable go for it! :)

System is sealed and it has normal rad valves !

I am to revisit tommorow and will offer them manual flush with
magna clean and chemical flush + I have to fit new valves to all rads + new pump and Change the PRV kit

System is sealed and it has normal rad valves !

I am to revisit tommorow and will offer them manual flush with
magna clean and chemical flush + I have to fit new valves to all rads + new pump and Change the PRV kit

Question them Stan! Make sure they're not hiding any radiators not heating, under their belt! Soz maybe Mr Cynical lurking ... Why else would you be asked to quote to flush from "Mr general Custard"?

Powerflushed one and it was a pig. Ended up removing a few rads and doing it the old fashioned way. You're on the money with your last most in my opinion.

Steve there are not a new customer ! I have done 1 boiler change for them already in another property and a boiler repair in central London in another property !

Will update tommorow after visit !

Steve there are not a new customer ! I have done 1 boiler change for them already in another property and a boiler repair in central London in another property !

Will update tommorow after visit !

That's different yeh? They trust you and you them ...! Does sound like a doddle of a job as long as every thing's got heat relatively evenly :)

Microbore only becoms an issue where the system design has allowed for pumping over to occur! Then you get serious furring up ... Otherwise it's only the odd bit black stuff! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Best you contact Daikin and see what they say...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Doesn’t really answer any of my questions but...
Replies
Views
O
Have you tried waggling the pin on the trv...
Replies
Views
Thanks, yes I will ask him when he comes in a...
Replies
Views
Back