Power flushing | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Power flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoggy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all
Got a job to price old glowworm space saver and existing system and I was wondering if putting a tf1 is acceptable for the new combi that I will install, I'm guessing not so how many of you do power flushing and is it something that you need some experience or a case of put machine on and away you go.
i asked because with work like it is I would weigh up buying a second hand machine and doing this myself either that or sub it to someone but the person I know with the machine is likely to try and steal my customer.
also what machines do people recommended on a reasonable price.
many thanks Martyn.

I generally go in a couple of weeks before and dose with cleaner. Saves the powerflush.

I would do the same as Simon says, put in F3 or X400 a week or so before and then give it a few flushes out with mains when changing the boiler. I would fit a TF1 or Magnaclean as well though!

Cheers guys it's one of those weird cylinders think primatic, it has no header tank its fed from the same piece. So is this a no go for the cleaner product? Also what do you guys do if the boiler is dead on arrival?

you have a few options really, without being able to dose before work on the new boiler is done then i would consider using a power flush machine imo. you could also consider removing the rads and cold flushing outside on a hose and cold flushing the pipework before the new boiler is fitted but this would take longer and you really want to avoid any sludge entering the new boiler by fiulshing before hand.

Drain down at all available points to clean out as much loose muck as poss. You could link out the F+R from cylinder once its removed and try flushing from mains. Then flush with x800 when you've done. Magnaclean should protect the boiler from anything getting inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally go in a couple of weeks before and dose with cleaner. Saves the powerflush.

I do this but flush as well. Runs clear in no time cos of the pre-cleanse

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I do this but flush as well. Runs clear in no time cos of the pre-cleanse

Can't do that with primatic cylinder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thing is that you need the water to be hot to flush properly or a good flow of water through each rad, so as said before either take rads off or you need a powerflush machine and something to heat the water.

My best advice would be to get someone else to do it unless u have the money to pay for the machine and the heater.

thing is that you need the water to be hot to flush properly or a good flow of water through each rad, so as said before either take rads off or you need a powerflush machine and something to heat the water.

My best advice would be to get someone else to do it unless u have the money to pay for the machine and the heater.

I got a heater built in to my norstrom proflush for when existing boiler is goosed

Cheers guys it's one of those weird cylinders think primatic, it has no header tank its fed from the same piece. So is this a no go for the cleaner product?

can you inject cleaner into one rad and let it circulate few days before new boiler install?

Also what do you guys do if the boiler is dead on arrival?

as guys said, hire powerflush machine or connect hose and try mains run through, but chemicals probably wont have much of an effect if not heated .

Last edited:
Ah do if I drain a bit off then get a can of the radiator squirt cleaner will this be ok with the primatic cylinder? Cheers for all replies, what's the procedure with flushing do you just put the machine on pipe work and will it be ok flushing with a primatic or easier taking each rad off?

it should be ok. you will clean coil in the cylinder, not the tank. so is the boiler working then or is caput(dead):p ?

A primatic cylinder hasn't got a coil as such, You cant use chemicals unless you take the cylinder out of the system first.

Last edited:
Boiler is working still just on its way out, don't want to end up with them showering with chemicals but I don't want to fit a nice new boiler on a dirty system.

hire a power flush machine link out the cylinder and flush before you strip out. Charge for the hire of the machine, chemicals and labour ontop of the boiler/system swap. job done. you dont need heat to powerflush but if you have no heat it will take alot longer to flush as heat is an accelerant for the chemical cleaner. Simular to washing up liquid.....ie. works better with hot water.

we pretreat about two weeks before swap double dose x400, and tell the customer they need to run the heating to make it work! powerflush before swap if possible if not on new install. we spend all day flushing, get as clean as possible. we have noticed that on the older systems a year or more later you will still find it is present a bit. now installing magnacleans as well as pf.

I install alot of heat pumps, always fit a Fernox filter, you guys fitting filters on ur heating installs/ services when plumb centre are charging just under £100 + vat?? how is that going down with the customer? p/centre offer me the Magnaclean at £10 less than tf1. or my discount worth **** all?
Thanks

I explain that it will be better than all the bits going into the boiler and they seem ok with that. Plumb centre is where I go and they are expensive for the majority of things.

hire a power flush machine link out the cylinder and flush before you strip out. Charge for the hire of the machine, chemicals and labour ontop of the boiler/system swap. job done. you dont need heat to powerflush but if you have no heat it will take alot longer to flush as heat is an accelerant for the chemical cleaner. Simular to washing up liquid.....ie. works better with hot water.
When you say link out the cylinder do you mean go day before job and rip out and join up flow and return near where cylinder was?

no, i mean when you do the power flush, you could possible remove the cylinder and attach the power flush pump in its place. or connect the power flush pump at a better point like the pump position or radiator. You will most likely have to charge a days labour as it can take a good day sometimes, if it takes you less then kick on with the new work.

by removing and linking at the cylinder your creating a sealed heating system, which is what you need to powerflush but it cant be left and used in that condition afterwards for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
I use a Kamco. I does the job, had it 20 year...
Replies
Views
O
Have you tried waggling the pin on the trv...
Replies
Views
C
In a word, no. Needs a gas safe bod.
Replies
Views
The pump/motor are way, way more powerful with...
Replies
Views
Thank you guys, I had the same question and...
Replies
Views
David “Lyon plumbing”
D
Back