powerflush or new boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss powerflush or new boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joseyjo

Hi, We've had problems for the past year with hot water from combi boiler (Maxim) - gets hot briefly then cold again. BG engineer (we have contract) has found a lot of "gunk" in the system and says the boiler needs replacing. I asked about cleaning the system and was told it isn't worth it as the gunk is in boiler and will get back into system (boiler is approx 11 years old). We've been putting it off as CH working fine, but now boiler presssure is dropping over a day or 2 and system needs topping up. BG service was done last week and engineer said the pressure drop is due to water leaking somewhere (caused by gunk) but couldn't find where. Left with the recommendation to get quote for new boiler, and in meantime to keep topping up.
This morning the boiler is leaking water - a constant drip - from the bottom front. I've switched system off completely for now.
Not sure whether to get BG out again under agreement - knowing they'll just say it needs replacing - or get a second opinion from independent plumber. Could it be worth having a powerflush to see if that helps? Is it correct that if the system has been powerflushed recently (with documentation), and then a new boiler is needed, it wouldn't need powerflushing again?
Thanks.

i suggest you have a look at what tbservices has told you

you are paying for the service they should come out and fix the leak for you ! or yes you might need to replace the boiler i havent seen it so couldnt say. but if they boiler was to be replaced then yes it would need to be powerflushed/flushed ! if there is sludge/gunk in the system then it should be cleaned and a chemical inhibitor added to stop it gunking up again.

BG at it again, ive just done a system where they quoted him £8000.00 to repipe a average 3 bed house with micro-bore pipe, as 2 of his radiators were not working ! caused by dirt in system from them changeing his unvented cylinder, all that was needed was to replace about 3mts of 10mm pipe and flush system for a total cost of £300.00, Dont take them at there word get a second opinion, you could save your self lots of money.

Thanks all. It may be that the boiler does need replacing but I got the impression the engineer had decided that would be the case before looking at it! He also persuaded me to get the quote visit arranged via him there and then, even though I was in a hurry to go out (because they were late) - maybe an incentive scheme there? Anyway, will get a plumber round and see what they say. I imagine their quote for a new boiler if needed would be less anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sensocomfort with outside temp sensor. RF or...
Replies
Views
Still got the leak when checked after he left...
Replies
Views
D
Thanks, have also contacted Viessmann. It's at...
Replies
Views
Dumbaskus
D
What type of boiler is it?
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Back