pressure and boiler issues | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss pressure and boiler issues in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roksoff

Hi all
We had a new boiler installed about 7 years ago, a bog standard (not a combi) Glow-worm. It was originally an antiquated back boiler downstairs in the chimney breast but we had the new one moved to the loft where it seemed more convenient. Problems are always occurring with the pressure of the system and we have to 're-pressurize the system fairly regularly (about once every six months) but multiple engineers have told us that this is not unusual. The main problem is that even though we repressurize the system really slowly it still seems to have an adverse affect on the boiler. In the 7 years we have had the boiler we have had the pump replaced twice, the expansion vessel replaced twice and other similar problems, in fact we haven't had 12 months without needing to have a boiler repair carried out. Can anyone tell me whether this sounds like a pressure problem or a boiler problem and does anyone have any ideas as to how these issues can be resolved. I'm willing to spend out on a new boiler but if it is a pressure system problem then surely I'll be back at square one but a couple of thousand pounds out of pocket. If anyone has some advice I'd be really grateful.
Cheers all.

giving it a drink every six months is quite normal,do you get any other symptoms like over pressuring and the safety valve dripping?

Hi Gasman. I would say that it varies. A couple of repairs have been accompanied by a leaking safety valve, (if that's the pipe that goes outside)the boiler sometimes leaks from inside as well. The only constant seems to be the lack of pressure every time. We have one radiator that needs bleeding as well, but I don't know whether that's a relevant point. We've never had over pressuring though as far as I'm aware. Cheers.

Topping up every six months is normal. No need to do it slow it can't cause the faults you have had.
Gloworms aren't amazing but they are ok. If your pump/exp vessel are failing I would be checking the condition of the water in the system, it may well be corrosive/sludgy. If you get a new boiler make sure the system gets a good flush.

Hi Gasman. I would say that it varies. A couple of repairs have been accompanied by a leaking safety valve, (if that's the pipe that goes outside)the boiler sometimes leaks from inside as well. The only constant seems to be the lack of pressure every time. We have one radiator that needs bleeding as well, but I don't know whether that's a relevant point. We've never had over pressuring though as far as I'm aware. Cheers.
cant comment on the repairs as no doubt you can appreciate i dont know whats been done,however everytime a rad gets bled in a sealed system this causes a pressure loss

Most of your problems are caused by sludgy water. Do you have inhibitor in the system ?
As for replacing the odd part, that's normal. Would you expect a 7 year old car that you drove for 6/8 hours a day to need a service or a new part every now and then?

I wouldn't expect to replace 2 pumps in 7 years unless

a) I was buying cheap pumps or
b) the system was full of cr@p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
What the easiest way to find why my boiler is...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
IMO, the boiler should be derated to ~ 20kw...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
Back