Pressure Drop on boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pressure Drop on boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeffcarrier

Hello Plumbers Forum,
My Boiler is a Glow-Worm 30 cxi Condensing Combination Boiler. It was installed in 2005.
The boiler pressure normally - that is when the central is not on, is between 1.0 and 1.6 bar.
In the last few days it dropped to 0.8 bar. I adjusted the supply and it went up very quickly to 2.0 bar.
The following day it had dropped to 0.8 bar.
Can anyone help me solve this problem.
Thanks - Jeffcarrier

hi its looks like it could be your expansion vessal on the boiler need recharged.

hello Jeff, what pressure is it reading when the ch is fully up to temperature?
Has there been any leaking from the pressure relief valve?

Jeff - try the following:

(i)Pressurise your system to 1 bar when cold
(ii)Secure a plastic bag (without holes) around the discharge pipe from the pressure relief valve of the boiler (the copper pipe that passes through the wall to outside)
(iii)Fire up your boiler on heating. Watch the pressure gauge of the boiler. Does it rise to over 3 bar? Is there water in the plastic bag?

If the pressure climbed to over 3 bar and there's water in the plastic bag, then the expansion vessel requires recharging or it's failed completely.

The manufacturer's instructions will advise on the pressure that the vessel should be pumped up to. If there's water coming out of the Schrader valve, then the vessel has failed. Simple job to replace the expansion vessel on this boiler because it's not fitted at the rear of the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
No. It is possible the pressure relief is the...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
J
Thanks! much appreciated :)
Replies
Views
Joey T
J
It probably has to fall to 0.5bar to trip the...
Replies
Views
Back