Pressure testing pipework... | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pressure testing pipework... in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

Masood

Just idly thinking about a job I did a while ago, which was the last time I pressure tested new installation pipework. I had 3 bar mains pressure (give or take), so pumped up to 4.5 bar and left for an hour. Zero pressure drop. But when I commissioned the system, there was a small drip from a soldered elbow. Surely this should have caused a pressure drop on the test? Has anybody else had similar experiences with pressure testing? Just wondering what might cause this...

Theoretically I'd say the sudden drop from 4.5 bar pressure has caused it to pop, expanded then suddenly contracted? Like I say, just a theory.

Air is compressable and liquid is not. If you want to pressure test pipework then either buy yourself a hydraulic type where you pump the pipework full of water or fill pipework with water and then air pressure test from the highest point. This way the air available to compress is minimal so you will get a visible drop on the guage and on the pipework.

Theoretically I'd say the sudden drop from 4.5 bar pressure has caused it to pop, expanded then suddenly contracted? Like I say, just a theory.

Interesting, and totally feasible IMO...

Air is compressable and liquid is not. If you want to pressure test pipework then either buy yourself a hydraulic type where you pump the pipework full of water

Should have said, I have a hydraulic type - one of these Rothenberger RP30 Pressure Testing Pump | NoLinkingToThis

Did it go under heat, you probably know how things are fine when cold then pop when hot

No, balanced cold from an unvented cylinder's inlet control group...

could be movement of water.

Not sure what you mean by that, LOL! There was water moving within the pipe, of course, but under lower pressure than during the test...l

what i ment was once in use the water moving through the fitting could have removed the flux holding the seal? or effects of water hammer maybe?

what i ment was once in use the water moving through the fitting could have removed the flux holding the seal? or effects of water hammer maybe?

Ah right, got it! Also possible - anyway, no getting away from it, it was a weak joint, so I'd rather it went while I was there!

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
  • Question
PVC pipe will expand when under pressure, like...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My pleasure. It's particularly worth noting...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Please let us know what it turned out to be!
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Back