Price for oil boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Price for oil boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
How much would you charge to swap a small oil combi?

Went out to a job today and had a look and the woman said they have had a few prices through already and showed them to me most were around £3000 but not sure if that was plus vat or vat included (I didn't want to stand and stare at them) one of them was £2300ish! (I'm assuming that has to be +vat!)

Now I'm pricing it up off Williams and I'm already above those and I still haven't put a mag-one, expansion vessel on it! Not sure if I'm pricing for too much like new fire valve, filter, programmer, roomstat.

So what would you charge for
Grant vortex 21
Horizontal flue
Plume kit
Filter (grant say I have to fit a mag-one for 5year warranty)

Then would you do the rest?

I feel like I'm wasting my time but I have thought that before and still got the job.

Best bet is to price it off a decent merchant, not those robbing barstewards. :)

Well I thought that as well Ray but didn't have time to get there lol.

Do you do the mag-one filters? Can't see them on website so assuming not.

Direct swap £6-700 labour + materials & sundries

Add 10% to materials for your time and bother for pricing them if you like

Rad valves additional extra
Control systems additional extra

Funny actually since i've raised my prices I've had more work, people never seem to go for the cheapest. I always price for a good spec, so like new filter, fire valve ete etc

Its only a 28mm intaklean filter with a different label, but they extend the warranty if you fit it.

If you prefer to use another filter, and get on well with your Grant rep, you can sometimes persuade them to do the warranty without the filter

Direct swap £6-700 labour + materials & sundries

Add 10% to materials for your time and bother for pricing them if you like

Rad valves additional extra
Control systems additional extra

Funny actually since i've raised my prices I've had more work, people never seem to go for the cheapest. I always price for a good spec, so like new filter, fire valve ete etc

That's what I've done and I'm around £3300.00 (not finished it yet) so I'm not massively over but still over them. I get the feeling that she is after the cheapest that's why she showed me the quotes.

Give her menu pricing:

Basic job, no preparation, no making good, materials warranty only £xxxx
System clean before change £***
Magnetic filter £***
Additional warranty £***
Clearing site of old boiler etc £***
Then offer a small prompt-settlement discount for taking the whole she-bang.

Give her menu pricing:

Magnetic filter £***
Additional warranty £***

Thats what I like doing :)

Give her menu pricing:

Magnetic filter £***
Additional warranty £***

I usually do that for people who are unsure what they want but this woman didn't like that on another quote so that's a big no no here.

Talking her through telling her what I was going to do she seemed quite happy with what I was saying.

Did a one last year old worcester se combi out, new he worcester combi back into same location. It was about 3,300. With labour and mark up on materials I like to clear about a grand on an oil install.

quoting can be a bugger sometimes. and can be hard to judge if they are after a quality install a cheap price or both. sometimes it comes down to how you come across to them.

Did a one last year old worcester se combi out, new he worcester combi back into same location. It was about 3,300. With labour and mark up on materials I like to clear about a grand on an oil install.

Was that including new fire valve filter roomstat etc?

quoting can be a bugger sometimes. and can be hard to judge if they are after a quality install a cheap price or both. sometimes it comes down to how you come across to them.

Usually I don't even think about it I give them the price and never think if I get the job. On gas I won 7 out of 10 jobs so not too worried about that, but oil I haven't won 1 yet only priced 3 oil boilers but was a bit worried I was being stupid with my prices.

It seems from a few posts on here it's not too bad so will keep going with it.

if you hear the customer say that they want a quote for a Worcester, start telling them horror storys about Worcester, tell them that plumbers push a Worcester because they get the points to get tools, then tell them for example if gas, that a valiant is a better boiler. if they hint a Worcester then probably they had a quote for one already, if they hear this then they don't trust the other guys. this is what my old boss always did. but he did hate Worcester with a passion!!! I fitted a warmflow at home ,so far so good.

if you hear the customer say that they want a quote for a Worcester, start telling them horror storys about Worcester, tell them that plumbers push a Worcester because they get the points to get tools, then tell them for example if gas, that a valiant is a better boiler. if they hint a Worcester then probably they had a quote for one already, if they hear this then they don't trust the other guys. this is what my old boss always did. but he did hate Worcester with a passion!!! I fitted a warmflow at home ,so far so good.

I don't go telling horror stories as I think that is bad and I think the customer will just think your trying to bad mouth the others to get the job.

I have been asked a lot if I could fit a worcester and all I say is I'm not a fan of worcester and I prefer Baxi on gas and grant on oil, I then tell them why I prefer them and most people say oh I thought worcester were the best so I go through the good points and bad points of both boilers.

On a gas boiler I was honest to the person by saying if you have your heart set on a worcester then I will fit a worcester quite happily and asked what the other company's price was and what boiler it was she said it was a top one for £1750 I said it's probably a junior and I would only want to fit a Cdi and I won't beat that my price will be over £2000 and I probably won't offer the warranty on it that the other company can offer, I then said about Baxi and I said that I think they are better boilers and more reliable with a 7 year warranty blah blah blah I put my price in which was £1730 and I got it.

I wouldn't recommend Warmflow, especially their Combi boilers. They are trouble as the heat exchanger connections and other bits leak. A lot of the shells have gone also.
As to a price for doing a combi oil boiler swap, I would have thought that can't be too hard a job with all the pipes already there. Even if it is a different model boiler it surely could be done in one day, but if you allow two days for time, it could be done for £500 - after all that is £1250 for a 5 day week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
Yes your oil guy needs to change the flue. No...
Replies
Views
Back