Problem Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Problem Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

have not a clue

hi,
i really dont know anything about boilers so need some DIY help. its a Selectos oil burner type 42/A basically what is happening i ran out of oil then got it in today now the boiler is not working.. when i turn it on it seems to be turning over and not kicking in.. i can hear it begin to start and just before it iginates it just turns off and the reset button comes on...

any help??

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
air lock in the oil line.
turn off oil valve next to tank.
remove flexible hose from inside burner.
have absorbent granules to hand as you will spill oil.
get your missus to hold a pint glass with flexible hose in it.
you open stop tap, she shouts when it is half full and no more bubbles.
replace flexible hose. CHECK for no leaks.
start boiler.

if you spill any oil, the enviromental people will be very upset. be carefull. if you get stuck call your installer. good luck

Works every time for me that system - only drawback is the wife is not always willing to come out plumbing with me - prefers shopping (can't understand why?) :rolleyes:

ok did above still the same... when i hold the flexi hose upward no oil flow.. the hose is connected to a filter which is on the boiler but such a way the hose flows up to get into it.. when i attach the hose nothing happens.. but when i put oil into the filter myself it starts and runs until that oil is buring.. its like there is not enough pressure for the oil to flow up ward..

Shaun's method sounds good but if it hasn't worked you could try the following, although it might not work either.

I'm puzzled by this filter and hose affair. Are you able to bleed the oil pump on the burner?

You'll need a 4mm allen key and a few pieces of kitchen roll. Check in the boiler manual where you attach the pressure gauge to the pump and this is where you undo the "tap" (forgot the word!) with the allen key (usually 4mm).

Ensure the oil is free to flow (is the tap open at the tank or did the driver turn it off?) and the isolation valves are open. If oil doesn't come out of the pump after around 30 seconds you'll have to investigate the oil line. Is it exposed to the air and could it be frozen?

I'm not sure what I've said will improve matters but could be worth a try.

Just had another thought - has the fire valve closed? If it's a Teddington fire valve there will be a black button that needs pushing back in. It will be located outside on the oil line soon before it enters the house (as long as one has been fitted of course!) Or if it's not outside (tut, tut!) then inside the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the filter element? Did it drag a load of sediment into the pipe when you ran out of fuel?

Is the oil tank level lower or higher than the boiler?

I'm pretty sure it simply needs bleeding. Put a small container the size of a take away carton under the pump. The pump is located on the left hand side of the burner. It will more than likely either have a long shaft with an insert which is opened with a 4mm allen key, or a nut which is opened with a 15mm spanner. Above the nut or shaft is the pump pressure adjustment, adjusted with a screwdriver. Under no circumstances touch this!

Open the nut or allen key insert most but not all the way. If it won't bleed through gravity then press the reset button (red light) and the pressure will draw the oil quickly. Close it up tight when the burner is running and problem solved. You may need to do this more than once to purge any air out of the system.

If you're nervous get someone to do it and watch them. Next time you'll have no problem!

Kevin

Hi. Is it likely to be iced up? As there is always a small amount of water in oil tanks (via condensation)

All oil is winter grade regardless of the system, which won't "wax" until it reaches minus 20C if memory serves me right. I know it's cold but minus 20 is pretty extreme.

if your sure you have oil at pump, as said above check fire valve and oil filter.

i would then proceed to check and clean the flame sensor.

I may be asking the obvious, but is it Kerosene or Derv you are using?

Hi. I was not considering the oil, but the water that can build up in the base of the tank. If the system run out of oil the water/sluge can get pulled into the pipework. Its certainly some thing i would check before looking for burner faults. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

All fixed. Changing the nozzle and cleaning...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
As you radiators are working normally and...
Replies
Views
Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
Back