Problem increasing pressure in Worcester 24i Junior Boiler - any help please? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Problem increasing pressure in Worcester 24i Junior Boiler - any help please? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jarvo84

Hello,

The pressure in our boiler has decreased and although there isn't any noticeable difference in the water pressure in the house, we've been told we need to increase it. Despite having done this once before a few years ago, neither myself nor my boyfriend can seem to get it to work. Instead, water just seems to be coming out of the valve on the right hand side. Please see pictures below. If anybody has any suggestions as to how to solve this, I'd be very grateful!

Many thanks, Emma

Emma 101_8703.jpg101_8702.jpg101_8701.jpg101_8700.jpg101_8699.jpg101_8698.jpg101_8697.jpg

hi should be like in picture two, ensure flexi pipe is tightly connected, set it to 1.2 on gauge

if you have done that, do you mean its coming out of the little nut on the valve on the right ?

should be how it is in picture 2, raise temperature to 1-1.5 bar, and make sure both isolation valves are closed, job done.

just had this same problem with the same boiler today myself. so had to replace the filling loop or flex 8 pound only
yet then when you try to refill the system still had the red light flashing.as it was cutting out the boiler so had to bleed rads and get all the air out then took a little time yet fired up,leave for a while then bleed again
make sure you put inhibitor back into the system aswell
hope this helps just know it worked with mine

valve on the right is a non return valve (will only let water through one way), if water is comming out it it is faulty. If water only comes out of it after you connect the hose and open lever then someone has probably fitted it upside down

if you have done that, do you mean its coming out of the little nut on the valve on the right ?

Hello, yes thats exactly what I mean. When we connect the flexi hose and twist the black tap on the left you initially hear water coming through into the hose - but then it stops once it has filled the flexi hose and doesnt go into the boiler - so no change in pressure. Then if I twist the nut on the pipe on the right water first drips out of where I have loosened it and if it is undone more then more water escapes. All without any water actually getting into the boiler. Many thanks

what is the pressure of your cold mains ? do you have low pressure ? what is the pressure of the boiler currently at ?

Last edited:
swap the flex round the other way as have a non return valve in them as someone as said.so it can only flow one way

the non-return valve is connected to the heating circuit not the hose ! and if the non-return valve was fitted upside down you wouldnt be able to pressurise the system, either faulty NRV or incoming mains low.

what is the pressure of your cold mains ? do you have low pressure ? what is the pressure of the boiler currently at ?

Hello, I'm not sure how to tell the pressure of the cold water mains? The taps in the house seem to be a good pressure. If I open the black lever on the left and blace a bowl under it then water comes out at a high pressure. The boiler is currently just below 1 Bar. Many thanks

Hello, yes thats exactly what I mean. When we connect the flexi hose and twist the black tap on the left you initially hear water coming through into the hose - but then it stops once it has filled the flexi hose and doesnt go into the boiler - so no change in pressure. Then if I twist the nut on the pipe on the right water first drips out of where I have loosened it and if it is undone more then more water escapes. All without any water actually getting into the boiler. Many thanks

dont undo little nut, if valve is wrong way round like southcoast and gquigley said it should have an arrow on it, it should in your case point upwards towards boiler, and like gq said, have you got low cold mains pressure and may not be able to increase pressure

have you been able to pressurise it above 1 bar previously before ? if so then all i can think of is a faulty non-return valve

there's no chance in hell the valve is upside down, if it was you wouldnt be able to fill the system at all, and if you did and disconnect the hose it would flood the house and judging by your pictures you've had the hose disconnected.

Last edited:
dont undo little nut, if valve is wrong way round like southcoast and gquigley said it should have an arrow on it, it should in your case point upwards towards boiler, and like gq said, have you got low cold mains pressure and may not be able to increase pressure

Hello, the valve on the left has an arrow pointing upwards towards the boiler so that looks like it is the right way round. Many thanks

have you been able to pressurise it above 1 bar previously before ? if so then all i can think of is a faulty non-return valve

Hello, yes in the past we have been able to get it above 1 bar. Sounds like it must be a faulty non-return valve. I presume that is a job for a plumber? Would the whole central heating system need to be drained? Many thanks

when the heating is on does the pressure gauge go up, about 1/2 a bar?
if it doesn't move it could be the pressure dial that's the problem

Hello, the valve on the left has an arrow pointing upwards towards the boiler so that looks like it is the right way round. Many thanks
lol meant the one on the right the nrv but if you have been able to do it before then as gq sez its probs faulty, good installer should be able to do it without total drain down,
put post in plumber wanted thread and someone on here near you will contact you
if you wish

Hello, yes when the heating is on the pressure increases so I think the dial is working OK. Many thanks

Hello, yes when the heating is on the pressure increases so I think the dial is working OK. Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Personally I would remove the tmv valve and go...
Replies
Views
W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Worcester normally have a section in the...
Replies
Views
You're vessel had failed inside the boiler I...
Replies
Views
Back