Problems installing waste for kitchen sink | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Problems installing waste for kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomsouthall

Hello,

I had 2 belfast sinks to install - 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the utility. They came with fairly standard looking chrome wastes. I installed both in the same manner, and 1 seems to be doing just fine but the other has a very annoying leak! Can anyone help?

I put a good layer of silicone under the flange, before putting through the sink hole. Then underneath the sink I placed the black rubber washer that came with it, then the black plastic nut, which I screwed tight before smearing a layer of silicone around that. Does that sound about right?

I have seen some people suggest a Basin Mate to solve leaks - which sounds great - but I can only find ones like this ( [DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/washers-tap-replacements/accessories/PlumbSure-Basin-and-Vanity-Bowl-Sealer-11478125"]PlumbSure Basin & Vanity Bowl Sealer, 0000003892886[/DLMURL] ), which looks too small (32mm) for my kitchen sink waste (maybe they are intended for bathroom sink wastes?).

Any thoughts / advice greatly recieved!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
If your going to use silicon, put it on the mating surfaces don't smear it around the nut and washer.

change the rubber washer for a nylon one, you may have kinked it when tightening up

Easiest way to fix a problem like that is take the waste out, clean the surfaces and start again.

I agree with system3 wrong product, being "old school" I would go as far as suggesting putty and paint silicone is not the answer to every joint, you will find it comes away from ceramics.

Putty and paint :lol: It is a while since i've used that. Good exercise for your hands.

whats this about putty and paint?

Not another child with a computer???????????? :)

I did say "old school" actually it's not so long ago that mastic and silicone were new to the market, OK I was young then but I remember my Father fitting a bathroom and throwing the tube away with a lot of #*#* among the words "that skite will never take off"

Probably water getting through slot and seeping down the threads, apply PTFE to the thread where the nut goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks Shaun. As usual. Very much appreciated...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Did you manage to solve this issue? If so...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Get the correct sized pipe in, as once it’s in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Cheers, just need to get the bigger wood bit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Only way to find out as above mcalpine make...
Replies
Views
Back