Problems With My Central Heating After New Boiler Installed | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Problems With My Central Heating After New Boiler Installed in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

William199

Hello
On Monday I had a new Baxi Boiler installed. Also change from conventional to the combi system.
Everything seem to be working ok until this weekend, when I started to get a humming/vibrating sound from the radiator in the lounge. This has now spread to a couple of other radiators in the house that have been fitted with new thermostatic valves. I have also notice, that I get this sound when I adjust the thermostatic valve.
They also appear to turn off the radiator too often for my liking.

And suggestions how to deal with this problem. Of course I can contact the engineer, but would like some advice before doing so.

Thank you in advance.

William

balancing involves using the lockshield valve (the other valve opposite your trv on your rad) to equalize the system.
its an easy job to do, just ask your installer back to rectify the problem.

agree, either not balanced right so as trv's shut down there's excessive pressure from pump, or the combi is oversized. ask him how he chose that size. If he guessed, "cos it's about that size for this place innit" then worry deeply.

bet he was cheap.

get him to range rate the boiler,also check if he is gassafe reg

Are the Trv's directional, sounds like they are fitted at wrong end of rad

Common misconception related to TRVs happens when on entering a warm room and feeling a rad to be cold or into a cold room and feeling the rad to be hot,

Ones first inclination is to think the system is not working correctly when in fact it is working as per the design,

What happens is TRVs respond much quicker to temperature changes,

This is more noticable to users who previously relied on one thermostat located in the hallway or other central spot in the house.

No the job was not cheap at around £2000 including removing hot and cold water tanks from the conventional system.

Thanks
William

sounds like the system just needs some fine tuning! I very often drop back to an install after about 2 weeks just to see if everything is ok, I find it has helped me secure more work in the future and it is a good way of keeping customer relations high! If this installer had done such a thing then this problem would be rectified in minutes no doubt and the famous 'word of mouth' advertising would have been double good, instead the poor customer is on here looking for advice from others after shelling out 2 grand and is obviously not happy therefore recommendations are out the window!
When work is tight remember to look after your customers or somebody else will!

Hello
On Monday I had a new Baxi Boiler installed. Also change from conventional to the combi system.
Everything seem to be working ok until this weekend, when I started to get a humming/vibrating sound from the radiator in the lounge. This has now spread to a couple of other radiators in the house that have been fitted with new thermostatic valves. I have also notice, that I get this sound when I adjust the thermostatic valve.
They also appear to turn off the radiator too often for my liking.

And suggestions how to deal with this problem. Of course I can contact the engineer, but would like some advice before doing so.

Thank you in advance.

William
its not important how often they turn of what is important is does the room teach temp all trvs make some noise when closing but shouldnt be intrusive

No the job was not cheap at around £2000 including removing hot and cold water tanks from the conventional system.

Thanks
William
thats not exspensive for that type of job in london anyway

Last edited:
its not important how often they turn of what is important is does the room teach temp all trvs make some noise when closing but shouldnt be intrusive

thats not exspensive for that type of job in london anyway
+1 what steve says.

Is there an automatic bypass valve in the system and is it set correctly?

Is it ia single or two pipe system?

Thanks for all the comments and help.

And now to update on the present situation

He did come come back and replace the Trv's thinking they maybe faulty without success. I phone him and he suggested that when the radiator in the lounge makes that humming noise again, to adjust the valve on the radiator in the back bedroom, the reason being that the four Trv's in the bedroom's were fitted around eight years ago and are different to the ones he fitted on the ground floor.

This seems to have work with the radiator in the lounge as there has been no problem today. Now he advisers me that it would be a good idea to have the four Trv's in the bedroom's replaced, and that he wants £70.00 to include labour. Something about changing from a gravity system with the old conventional to one mains driven with the combi. He reckons the four Trv's at cost are £12.00 each.
In my opinion he should have spotted this problem before it happen and i'm not sure what to do now. He's 99% certain this will cure it!

To be honest I would grateful for any advice and do you think its reasonable to expect to pay another £70.00, or should I take it further?

Best
William

pay it ,its that much,alright he may not have spotted the four trv,s ,at least he,s come back to try and sort it.bg charge 35 per trv

Thanks for all the comments and help.

And now to update on the present situation

He did come come back and replace the Trv's thinking they maybe faulty without success. I phone him and he suggested that when the radiator in the lounge makes that humming noise again, to adjust the valve on the radiator in the back bedroom, the reason being that the four Trv's in the bedroom's were fitted around eight years ago and are different to the ones he fitted on the ground floor.

This seems to have work with the radiator in the lounge as there has been no problem today. Now he advisers me that it would be a good idea to have the four Trv's in the bedroom's replaced, and that he wants £70.00 to include labour. Something about changing from a gravity system with the old conventional to one mains driven with the combi. He reckons the four Trv's at cost are £12.00 each.
In my opinion he should have spotted this problem before it happen and i'm not sure what to do now. He's 99% certain this will cure it!

To be honest I would grateful for any advice and do you think its reasonable to expect to pay another £70.00, or should I take it further?

Best
William
lets be practical here we spend maybe 20 mins at your house pricing a job we cant allow for every possible eventuality hisalready changed the valves he fitted and has offered to rectify the problem at very reasonable cost id just be gratefull and keep his number for future works
nine times out of ten somthing that works on the old systems going to be good on the new one
but ive lost count of how many times a working pump has failed within weeks of fitting a new boiler but people still want a cheap estimate so i offer a new pump after ive got the job or i wouldnt get the job to start with

Last edited:
Hi,

Even with our depressed economy I think the figures mentioned are more than reasonable, £70.00 to replace 4 TRV's the man is definitely not making money considering our local rates.

The Gent is taking your calls, responding to the issues and not jumping on "the extras" band wagon.

Greet him with a smile, an offer of a cup of tea or coffee and most important remember to pass on his number to neighbours and friends, he appears to understand the meaning of after sales service ;)

If I got you right it's the noise thats you main issue? Not all TRVs are multi directional so ensure he's got them on the right end

He replace the 4 Trvs in the bedroom, yet the humming noise still remains. They are multi directional. One thing is for certain, I will not be paying this guy any more money.

Sounds to me as if he does not really know what causing this to happen and his possibly guessing. Keeps on about faulty trvs. In any event I am thinking now of getting a second opinion and he will have to pay for any extra costs involved.

Annoyed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Mine is 35 years old and the system doesn't...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back