Problems with tap's cold water cartridge | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Problems with tap's cold water cartridge in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, my 2-handle kitchen mixer tap started dripping cold water. I've got it apart and am waiting for a new cold water, ceramic disc, 1/4 turn, cartridge to be delivered. Meanwhile I can't completely turn off the isolating (or service) valve, whose screwdriver slot is now knackered. So, with tap turned off there is a fast drip/stream which is worrying, but is why I've shelled out ÂŁ18 (it's got a long spigot, total length is 57 mm) for a new cartridge.
More worryingly, with the tap's handle and cover removed I found that the flow can be completely stopped by pressing upwards on the end of the exposed cartridge spigot (where the splines are). What could this indicate? And do you use any silicon grease (on the O-rings, maybe) when sliding a new cartridge into position?

If I also decide to replace the isolating valve - 15 mm push-fit, plastic, with just a screwdriver slot, no lever - is there a good DiY method to squeeze the plastic end sleeves into the body in order to slide the valve off the pipe, in the tight confines of an under-sink kitchen cupboard? [photo attached]
I can just get a 5/8" open ended spanner over the pipes and was thinking Spanish windlass sort of set up to keep that spanner pushing inwards.
Thanks in advance, Phil. 20221102_221537.jpg

They wear and that sometimes causes a leak.
Can occasionally be packed out in a pinch by adding something to the rubber seal in the base of the cartridge (like a few wraps of ptfe) but not generally worth bothering.
The valves should come off OK. You could disconnect pushfit fittings underneath for better leverage if you struggle.
I'd consider taking off the trap for better access too.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
  • Question
Could an unvented cylinder without check valve...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
If you have photos please link to them or make...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Might also explain why water pours out. You...
Replies
Views
Burger
B
S
Ha ha did exactly the same thing today but...
Replies
Views
drwcannon
D
Back