Professional opinion on this pipe work please | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Professional opinion on this pipe work please in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

I would really appreciate some professional opinions on attached photo. We had an extension built a couple of years ago and a new
bathroom installed on first floor (directly above pipe work in photo) About 9 months ago noticed chipboard flooring around area of this pipe work was sinking and there is movement. Removed plasterboard wall to investigate and It’s obvious pipe had been leaking for some considerable time as black mould behind skirting as well as chipboard damage. The contractor has connected the new pipe work to old cast iron pipe. Is this normal practice?

Attachments

• 757C0472-619F-4FD9-993B-2A73589AD0F7.jpeg
    757C0472-619F-4FD9-993B-2A73589AD0F7.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 67
Abomination as I find it loathsome that this standard of work is being done. In short it looks awful and leaks so isn’t fit for purpose.

What’s the purpose of this, compensation?

It just needs ripping out and redoing.

Either take the old cast iron out or use a Mcalpine finned drain connector DC1, this pushes inside the cast iron and then you can just work in plastic 110 from there upwards.

Hi Ben, thanks for your response. Since I know nothing about plumbing could you elaborate on abomination please. I think just looking at it I know that it’s a mess but don’t technically know why…if you know what I mean?
The contractor is claiming this is ‘normal practice’ and there’s nothing wrong with the method they have used. As I said even an unpracticed eye like myself can see it’s an abomination so just needed a professional to confirm this. It’s ok I won’t quote you, just needed confirmation of what we were thinking ourselves. Thank you again, it’s good to know there are still proper tradesmen, seems like there are far to many cowboys out there.

The only reason that would be acceptable, would be for a temporary connection.

If that is the standard that the contractor works to, get someone else in and have them do a decent connection.

As for damage, contact your home insurer and get them to asses the damage and they will get the contractors insurance to pay for repairs.

Woeful: is an understatement!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There is hopefully a lintel above that new...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Difficult to tell from the photo, but might...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
G
Need to remove the boxing could be a bad boss...
Replies
Views
  • Question
All sounds good the insuduct is a nice bit of...
Replies
Views
Back