PTFE Tape or Blue Stuff For Loose Fitting | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss PTFE Tape or Blue Stuff For Loose Fitting in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,

I'm fitting a shower and I have a screw in fitting for the shower rail that I want to install as illustrated below. I can't screw it tight as the finished orientation won't let me and a dry fit is very loose. I just want some advice as to whether a good thick wrapping of PTFE tape would be better for this than the That Rapid Blue Stuff sealant. I think I'd prefer to use the sealant, but just having second thoughts because it is so loose.
1718368671256.png

Advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Alan

Ptfe as you may need to change / replace in the future

Around 20 wraps don’t forget it’s not under pressure

Roughen up the thread on the male section.
Scour the thread with some multigrips or hacksaw blade.
The put the PTFE tape on.
Roughening up the thread helps the PTFE tape stain in place rather than slipping up the thread when tightening.

Much like the old days when using hemp

I last used the belt and braces approach to this problem.
Thin layer of sealant on thread, then wrap PTFE not excessively thick, then another layer of sealant!
You will soon find the correct thickness to obtain a snug fit.
I have also used garden twine wrapped on thread with a layer of sealant - this is similar to the hemp thread that someone else has mentioned.

Never use sealant prior to applying PTFE or Hemp

That's why 'roughing up' of threads was always used when using Hemp, & PTFE to a degree.

You can apply sealant over the Hemp or PTFE and sometimes a smear inside the female fitting.

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
2 wraps isn't enough I'm afraid 15 is more...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
It's likely 3/4" in pipe not 22mm. You likely...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Whilst I agree about finding tape where it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To ensure a durable, leak-free connection for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think it's likely you want to use a 3/4" BSP...
Replies
Views
Back