pump not working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss pump not working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

pipemajor

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but I hope someone can help me.
A few days ago I turned my central heating on as it was getting a bit chilly in the evening. After about half an hour I noticed my radiators were still cold. I checked the boiler and the pump wasn't spinning, but the body of the pump was very hot.
I removed the central screw and the pump was easy to turn with a screwdriver.
When the pump was powered on I can hear a slight buzzing coming from the motor, and it gets hot, but if I try to spin it with a screwdriver it doesn't start. I took the cover off the capacitor and found it appeared to be leaking as there was a clear liquid in the housing. I stuck a multimeter on the mains terminals and got a reading of 210 ohms.
I changed the scale to millivolts range and spun the shaft and got a reading.
This would suggest to me that the start capacitor is stuffed, but I thought that if I spun the motor it would continue to turn, so I'm not sure if it is the capacitor or that the motor is u/s. I would be very grateful for any suggestions and advice.

if i were you the last three post say get a new pump and theres a lot of distlled wisdom in them capacitors discharge their electrical charge instantly but if you know a way to check them safetly i,d be interested to know however cutting the lines of force in a single phase pump isnt realistic and perhaps getting hold of a capacitor may be easier said than done 210 ohms does sound right but theres more to a pump than a motor and a starter

if i were you the last three post say get a new pump and theres a lot of distlled wisdom in them capacitors discharge their electrical charge instantly but if you know a way to check them safetly i,d be interested to know however cutting the lines of force in a single phase pump isnt realistic and perhaps getting hold of a capacitor may be easier said than done 210 ohms does sound right but theres more to a pump than a motor and a starter

Nice one billybob... At one time you use to be able to repalce capacitors on domestic pumps. Why bother though these days. Replacing the pump, or just the head, isn't that expensive.

If the capacitor alone is duff you should be able to manually set the pump spinning like normal. If the pump still won't spin properly then its the motor itself thats at fault.

Of course it is easy and cheap to change a capacitor but to me that doesnt sound like its the problem.

For oil burner motors the capacitor is normally the first thing to check but these go quicker due to the constant start/stop all the time.

Last edited:
the original post said the capacitor appeared to be leaking and the windings resistance was 210 ohns which made me think it was the capacitor my main concern was safety as it may still be fully charged i know nothing about oil burners so i,m interested to know if theres an easy way to check if there discharged and you check i dont want to appear stupid but how do you check if its working the other thing in your post which i was curious about can you physically start the pump and get it running by spinning it (i,ve never tried) i just assumed 50hz 60sec 3000rpm one pole pair i could never spin it fast enough but we all here to learn and if you can its one to remember

Thanks for all your replies and assistance. I sort of guessed what the replies would be but hoped someone would say it is the capacitor. Normally I would just have gone ahead and changed the pump, but there are a few reasons why this is not too easy. First, I'm deep in the French countryside with the nearest decent diy store 40 miles away. The pump is a Salmson, which I checked on the net and in france they cost up to £350. The pump itself is in a pig of a position in a basement brick cupboard, behind the the floorstanding boiler. I had a quick go at getting it off but the nuts are absolutely solid, so I've sprayed them with penetrating oil and will get the blowlamp on them in a couple of weeks. I'm not likely to need the boiler as my hot water is separate, so I'll bring the pump back with me when I return to the UK in October and get a replacement there. Thanks again for your help.

Similar plumbing topics

All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
It looks like you can lever off the electrics...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I'm a homeowner, not a DIYer. I have...
Replies
Views
Capacitor at fault likely
Replies
Views
Back