Pumped tank water to combi boiler. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pumped tank water to combi boiler. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shednight

Hi people

Called out to a boiler service today and came across a Nocchi jetinox 45/43 pump that was fed by the tank in the loft then to the cold inlet to the combination boiler.

I know you're not allowed to pipe up the cold from a tank to a combination boiler but is this set up allowed?

I know from past experience working in schools and flats that you have break tanks and pump sets but in a domestic situation is this really allowed?

I look forward to hearing your views on this one.

I've seen it done before. If you think about it, the FOV into the tank acts provides the air gap. The pump provides the pressure which would otherwise come from the mains. The only issues are:

a. Making sure the output pressure from the pump never exceeds what the boiler can cope with at the inlet - pressure reduction valve on output?

b. What happens if the tank gets emptied, although this is no different from a mains failure, and the boiler should cope.

Shednight - your post is really good - combis and water pressure /tanks are right in my
ball park - see my profile.

A 4 inch air break is the spec - ie wcs tanks etc it is a wras specification and has been
enscrined in water law for the last 100 years or so - so a water tank with a ball valve
feeding a pump that feeds a combi is all ok.

The real question is why ? would anyone have a tank fed combi -it is nuts CHK

theres no reason you cant feed a combi from a tank provided you have the head i know at least one that runs happily on a tank
well how was we to know the electric shower was tank fed the tank is several floors above

Shednight - your post is really good - combis and water pressure /tanks are right in my

A 4 inch air break is the spec - ie wcs tanks etc it is a wras specification and has been
enscrined in water law for the last 100 years or so - so a water tank with a ball valve

I've done it in the past. Combi in a property with only 10 l/min incoming. Customer unable to have a shower as cold tap robbed the combi. 50 gallon tank in the loft and pump, problem solved.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with it and I guess if the tank emptied then the pump would just turn off as that's how it works. Was just seeing if it was really allowed by regs/manufacturer.

It's in a terrace house where around 7 houses share one water main so in full load at peak time the water pressure can get pretty low. The only downside of having the pump is its really loud.

thanks for everyone's views on this.

Hiya MIke - I suppose my thinking is/was not to fit a combi in the 1st place. As you all know
I really doubt the combi system except installed in small homes and flats. Mind you we have
fitted many x 1000's over the years - but I still hate them CHK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Test flow rate/pressure of your mains. If it’s...
Replies
Views
Thanks all for the replies. The combi is an...
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
Back