Question re: water softener and waste from unit | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Question re: water softener and waste from unit in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

R

RM02

I got a water softening system fitted today and only noticed after it was all complete and the installer had left, that the pipe that takes away the backwash water is feeding into my soil stack vent pipe at the back of the house.

I will contact the installers on Monday, but in the meantime does anyone know if this is ok?
I know nothing about plumbing (hence my reason for registering to ask this) but I am of the belief that this vent pipe, although part of the house sewage system, doesn't feed water into anything. Is that right?

Did the installer make a mistake or will be be fine? Kinda concerned.

As long as there is no risk of contamination of water supply, then soil stack is a good method, as the water is brackish and therefore should not discharge into the land course.

The water from that pipe does not come in contact with your potable water. Is that pipe flexible 10mm? It is the effluvia from the rinse cycle. There should also be an overflow pipe in solid plastic from the salt side in case of the feed valve getting stuck. Hope you have one!

The water from that pipe does not come in contact with your potable water. Is that pipe flexible 10mm? It is the effluvia from the rinse cycle. There should also be an overflow pipe in solid plastic from the salt side in case of the feed valve getting stuck. Hope you have one!

Yeah its a think flexible pipe, so I'd guess its a 20mm as you say (too dark and cold to go out and check it now!).

Thanks all, so overall should be nothing to worry about? Good to hear.

Another query, I also got a RO system/filter installed at the same time. Its a 5-filter system.

I was told at the time that the water out of its separate tap would be ultra clean. Thing is, when I fill up a glass, the water isn't crystal clear as I expected it to be. It has what I would describe as a very small amount of white stuff (call it suds or foam !!) in it, which clears over time as it settles. Also if you put your ear to the glass after you fill it you can hear a very slight fizzing!

Is this all normal?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Best thing to do first is to read the relevant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Murdoch, Thanks for your recommendation...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Any pictures of how you’ve installed it ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
Back