Questions to ask when choosing the right candidate for boiler Installer? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Questions to ask when choosing the right candidate for boiler Installer? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snash1039

If I wanted a gas/heating engineer to fit an combi boiler, what questions
can I ask him? I mean I know squatt about boiler installation.

I have had an handful of quotes, but a few have stood out. How can
you know for sure how to pick the right man for the job? ie prices, workmanship, referals, word of mouth, etc.

Ask him what your water flow rate is, and will the boiler he's proposing to install guarantee hot water in the winter!!!

Its sometimes hard to judge tradesman or people in general if you do not know what your looking for. I would start by asking the heating engineer which brand of boiler he fits most frequently and then ask him why he thinks that boiler would be right for you and the demands you would place upon it. Ask him if he is going to zone off each floor of your property in accordance with PART L. Ask him to show you his Gas Safe Reg number or simply look on the GS website reference it. Ask to see some proof of his recent work. But be tactful as some people can take probing personally and get shirty ! Once you have choosen your man relax and let him do the job as most heating engineers are just looking to do a quality job for a fair wedge so they keep their reputation for the next job

Personally if anybody has quoted you for a combi boiler (which is not a combi/combi swap) and has not either tested or questioned you about your cold water mains performance i would persume they are not very good.

If your keeping exsisting pipework and radiators and they have not suggested flushing the exsisting system and maybe adding a filter to the system to remove corrosion then i would persume they are not very good.

I chose a roofer based on sex-appeal and i wrote about it on my blog. Perfectly true story:
Pick me! Pick Me! Said the donkey in Shrek « Mrs Tara Plumbing

Probably not the best way to choose boiler-installer! Though I do rather like bald heads and glasses (Mr TP has neither)!

Sorry not help ful, but I got to go now. Of course if you are in Kent i'd choose our company!

Q " are you gas safe registered" ?? ( doesn't get asked alot where I live).

First check for Gas Safe registration, but this is far from a measure of competence, its just a legal obligation. Then check if installer is CIPHE - always helps to have a professional body to complain to if things go wrong. Ask whether the boiler will be suitable for weather comp - installers that do not understand the benefits of this will be costing you more on your gas bill - they are not complex to fit, and may make your boiler 15% more efficient.

Ask what the installer will do prolong the life of their installation - ie cleaning system, fitting a magna clean, fitting a domestic hot water expansion vessel (if you have a water meter), fitting a pressure reducing valve (prolongs the life of plastic components on boiler).

Ask if the gas supply to the existing boiler is suitable and of correct size - if you chose a boiler with a higher flow rate (which has been suggested), then more expense is involved with upgrading gas supply - note; undersized gas supply is common, so don't pay for better flow rate boiler, if the gas has not been considered.

Ask about guarantees - decent installers usually fit boilers with 5 year guarantee - so this saves money on repairs in long run.

I'm back. In more constructive frame of mind.

If you are changing from another type of boiler to a combi the installer should discuss with you the pros & cons.
He should discuss how he will go about it. Ask him how long it will take.

Clangers advice is mostly very good.
I disagree a little.
For example weather compsenator or not will depend on you property but it is something to talk to the installer - a good one will be able to advise you.
Also, the installer should be asking what is important to you.

For many customers they simply want the cheapest so the plumber will not be quoting for weather compensator and more expensive controls - and these are obviously more beneficial to some people and bigger houses than other lifestyles and tiny flats.
but the installer should find out what you want and even if you need the cheapest installation he should be recommending an installation which brings your heating system up to current Building regs (which is recommended but not Compulsory - it is your choice).
He absolutely must be cleaning system before install as Clanger said - you can ask how he will do this - there are many ways and not one right answer.

the one that offers worcester bosch,vaillant, or baxi!! is a good place to start!

Ask if they can solve a rubiks cube

You know they are clever then

I could solve the rubics cube in 5 minutes on my first attempt...................... but then i'm good at taking things apart and rebuilding them:44:

ask if they will be notifying the install to Gas Safe. Many don't and unless they do you won't get your building regs notification certificate which will be important if the house is to be sold with this boiler.

Other than that I'd probably go for a more thorough and enthusiastic person, someone who presents themself and the company well. I see it as if they don't care too much about the business then they won't care too much about your property.

Personally i would suggest you go with the person you were most impressed with regardless of the cost....for example who gave you the most confidence, which one best knew there product and job best, and just as important which one did you feel most comfortable with working in your house.

Bob

A lot of good advice in the posts, check Gas safe a must, are they approved installers for any manufacturer?
Also when i quote a job i give the quote in writing and the customer only pays when they are happy with the job, no deposits or materals on site payments. If the installer is willing to do this then they must be confident that they do a good job.
Thats just the way i work, and it seems to work well.

If they quote worcester you will be getting a new pcb,prv,fan,pump and expansion vessel within first five years !!!

Imo these are the words you need to hear , baxi,veissman,flush,cleaner,inhibitor,gas safe registered and insured .
The installer mentions all that then you should get a decent job/boiler

If they quote worcester you will be getting a new pcb,prv,fan,pump and expansion vessel within first five years !!!

I dont agree with you there, i fitted 56 worcesters last year and have only had two go down, all are guaranteed for five years and customer service from worcester is great. Now till the end of the year they are giving seven year parts and labour!!
Viessmann are another good boiler i recommend and do fit as being one of there trained installers also have five year parts and labour guarantee. But i think you now get five years with both manufacturers even if you dont use a approved installer.

I prefer to go with the diyer who scratches his head a lot, says oooooh this will cost a bit, looks like you got some damp there too, quotes the highest price then knocks half off cause he fancies my mrs, scratches his head some more and goes to van to come back with a written quote on the back of a *** packet.

Will definetly give him a call.

I dont agree with you there, i fitted 56 worcesters last year and have only had two go down, all are guaranteed for five years and customer service from worcester is great. Now till the end of the year they are giving seven year parts and labour!!
Viessmann are another good boiler i recommend and do fit as being one of there trained installers also have five year parts and labour guarantee. But i think you now get five years with both manufacturers even if you dont use a approved installer.

Disagree i fit couple worcesters a week and they are crap mahoosively overated and priced ,customer service is also pap as had a few go down and they treat you as if your lying . Imo Brit gas fit them to keep the engineers busy with all the reg faults they through up .
Also worked on several sites where they have been fitted and most went pear shaped with problems previous stated, marketed well in this country and living off past rep .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
There could still be 22mm pipework left...
Replies
Views
J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Back