Rad and boiler woes! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rad and boiler woes! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamwatn

Hi!
Very new to this forum (first post!) and very new to plumbing!
I'm an Electrician by trade!!

Got a couple of issues that I need a bit of advice on:

- The boiler is pretty damn old and when it first starts I get a 'blip' on my Carbon Monoxide alarm which sits underneath it..which is very concerning!!

- Have issues on a few radiators: Cold in the middle...full of sludge, so I decided to take one off the wall..I shut both valves off, hosed it out so it runs well. Put it back up and well there's no flow through the return pipe.
Very hot on the inlet side, however no joy on the return side which doesn't seem to be taking a flow through it...
I've bled it well and closed and opened the valve a few times with no joy.
Did this with another radiator downstairs and most of the other radiators are scolding hot..

Ideas please!?! Help a newbie!!

Thanks

Justin

First off i HAVE to tell you to turn your boiler off and get someone to check it.
You can ring the Gas Emergency Service provider on 0800 111 999. They will come out within the hour for free.

The radiators can be fixed at a later date.

Right..the boiler is sorted..however I'm still not getting a decent heat coming from several radiators, even the ones that I have totally flushed..
Any ideas where there could be a problem?

If the rads where very sludgy, then the system is probably too!,

Have you re-balanced the rads you took off?

Yeah, Sounds like sludge in the system. You have tried everything else by the sounds of it. Needs a power flush

If your boiler's off then the rads won't heat up ... :p

Re the sludge, if you've cleaned out the radiators then there might be one or two "junctions" in the pipework that are blocked. Presumably your circulating pump is working fine since if it isn't it won't push the hot water around the system?

Last edited by a moderator:
relocate CO detecto at high level ,position it over the boiler !!!!! and if it's old one get a new honeywell !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You've already spent thousands on a new boiler...
Replies
Views
Could be the AAV inside the boiler leaking...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
As long as your flow pipe is getting hot first...
Replies
Views
Back