rad not working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss rad not working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

C

copperhead

Hi ive moved a rad in my new house from a back wall to the righthand side wall under the window sill ive taken the 15mm feeds from an existing 15mm feed in the roof space and taken it alonge and across and chased the pipework into the wall and down all in all about 6m off pipework to the rad and 6m back the sytem is run off a largeish combi boiler and only has 6 rads on it including the 1 ive just moved ive bled the sytem and fully charged it and there is loads off water presure from the bleed valve but there is no hot water to the rad and only about a 1m of the inlet pipework is getting hot all the other 5 rads are pipeing hot i have allso removed the rad and made a straight run using 15mm copper connected to the inlet outlet to elimenate probblems with the rad now im stuck and need some help as to what i should do next the only thing i can think off is that were i teed into the 15mm exsisting is that this runs to the right and the new layout runs to the left does it all have to run the same direction. Should i have taken the tee of pipework runing to the right or should i have even come of the 22mm manifold. If i have to come off the 22mm manifold should i take this so far in 22mm then drop to 15mm for the down pipes i have also added to tails for another rad to be fitted in the spair room wich is also teed of the new pipe work only about 2m away. Any help with this would be very much appreciated as this is now holding the hole prodject up Thanks in advance.
Pete.

no if you turned TRV off then fine,

few questions,

1. is is definetly off the central heating pipes
2. is there 1 pipe coming from flow and one from return pipes.
3. why didnt you just move the existing pipes, rather then use completely different pipes
4. what do you mean by left and right, this does not make sense
5. is the pump on level 3? if not can you try turning all other rads off and leaving this one on with pump fully turned up.

also try to remove rad again, open the trv and lockshield a little until water comes out.

No, if you've shut off the trvs then that should have done it.

So you've tee'd into existing 15mm flow and returns in roof space? Where did the old rad pipes connect into it?

also there may be an air lock in the 2 tails for the other radiator, try opening the end cap a little to see if any air comes out on both pipes.

also there may be an air lock in the 2 tails for the other radiator, try opening the end cap a little to see if any air comes out on both pipes.

Hi i opend up the the 2 tails as thease have full bore isolators on them some air did come out but rad further on did not get hot.

The old pipes were connected at ground level and were teed of to the left. the pipe work they were teed into then goes down trough the celler alonge the top off the wall and up to the lounge rad wich is fine as this cannot be seen the new pipe work is teed of the same pipe work but in the celling space through the joists and then down.

well if you are sure it is piped up right, take rad off, open up both valves, see if water comes out.
empty radiator completely, then connect up, open both vales and bleed.
if this doesnt work then not an airlock. not valves, so only other option is pipework is wrong.

To the same pipe in the celling space of the ground floor and up through the floor boards in the spair bedroom the house has 4 stores theres no rads in the celler though.

Hi new pipework is definetly off cetral heating pipes.
there is 1 from flow 1 from return.
the existing pipes would have to been chased into the bottom of the wall over half way around the room to get them to the window.
The combi boiler is on the first floor landing roughly in the middle of the house the 22mm pipes go down through the floor boards with some rads teed to the right some to the left my new tees are taken from pipes wich go to the right but the new pipes go from the tees into elbows and to the left to the rad.

Yes 1 of the feed 1 off the return teed about half way alonge then run alonge joist to wall and up through to spair bedroom both with full bore vavles so they could be opend and bled ? is this a problem !

have you got a flow and return pipes right when you messed around
Yes i was very carefull i folwed the pipe work back to the ground floor rad then marked the trv side with blue insalation tape so i new wich line was wich.
could it be that were its plumbed in is not the right place would it be better to go straight of the 22mm manifold and do i need to do this so far in 22mm seen as it needs to feed 2 rads or will it be ok in 15mm or wil 22mm take away from the other rads.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all thanks for your response ive managed to fix the problem went to the local plumbers merchant as i was convinced i needed to change the pipework to 22mm and was about to perchase a load when who should walk in but an old aqantant of mine i used to use for the plumbing side of things on the renivations we used to do i told him what id done and he told me what i hadint done
wich was to shut all the rads compleatly of put some hose on the tails of the pipe work for the rad and put those outside then turn the combi up nice and hot then pump the pressure up to 3bar and go down stairs and open up the valves it worked a treat rad now gets hot it turns out it was ither something stuck in the pipe or an air lock not sure wich but i do no it worked.
Nigel if your out there your a star.
All the best Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what i said in post 4.

I did this on a job today.

i think i get what you mean, no it doesnt matter which direction the pipes go in, obviously you know this now, but for future.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Replies
Views
  • Question
Best you contact Daikin and see what they say...
Replies
Views
A simple thing i'd probably check is the...
Replies
Views
Experience tells me 10mm won't be enough but...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back