Rad valves with O-rings | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rad valves with O-rings in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Some RAD valves come with O-rings, whereas the majority do not and I just wonder if one is better than the other or whether it makes no difference whatsoever?
Reason I ask the question is that I have spent ages looking at valves and have settled on the ones in the link, but I’ve never used valves before with O-rings and so before I hit the buy button I just want to check with you guys: Valves

TIA

1. It doesn't really make any difference.
2. If you use the ones with O rings, the radiator surface where the O rings sit must be smooth. Very often they aren't.
3. There's nothing wrong with the ordinary sort. Its just a matter of wrapping sufficient PTFE tape around the threads to make a leak free fit.
4. The number of turns of PTFE depends on how tight the threads are without anything. Fairly tight, and you might start with 8 wraps, fairly loose and start with 15 to 20. In proportion for a different fit.
5. There are other sealing methods:
5a. Loctite 55 cord - allows for some (max 1/2 turn) backing off. Not needed for radiator tails.
5b. Loctite 577 or Flomasta Pipe Seal. Liquid sealant. Very easy to use, gives a good seal, expensive.

1. It doesn't really make any difference.
2. If you use the ones with O rings, the radiator surface where the O rings sit must be smooth. Very often they aren't.
3. There's nothing wrong with the ordinary sort. Its just a matter of wrapping sufficient PTFE tape around the threads to make a leak free fit.
4. The number of turns of PTFE depends on how tight the threads are without anything. Fairly tight, and you might start with 8 wraps, fairly loose and start with 15 to 20. In proportion for a different fit.
5. There are other sealing methods:
5a. Loctite 55 cord - allows for some (max 1/2 turn) backing off. Not needed for radiator tails.
5b. Loctite 577 or Flomasta Pipe Seal. Liquid sealant. Very easy to use, gives a good seal, expensive.
Appreciate the detailed response.

When using ptfe on rad valves, is it worth adding a dab of something like Hawk White, or is it unnecessary or maybe a pain if you ever have to remove the valve again? I already have Hawk White, as well as hemp, but not used either yet.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Depending on what size/type your existing rad...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi John Yes I have evacuated tubes. They are...
Replies
Views
Thanks a lot, put lots more turns on + some...
Replies
Views
E
  • Question
You will need to turn off heat to cylinder...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I Understood and thanks!
Replies
Views
Back