Rad won't work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rad won't work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

B

billybongo

A friend had a combi boiler put in to replace a back boiler , ever since a rad in her conservatory hasn't worked . If you shut others down it works so it's not blocked , the pipework goes into floor and pops up into rad which is not unusual , a gas engineer said to reroute at higher level ie take out of floor but would this be any better? I can't understand why it won't circulate as combo is higher pressure than previous system , any ideas folks howy

I'm sure balancing rad's is becoming a dieing art, the number of newish systems I go to where all the lockshields are wide open is unbelivable, the folk wonder why all the rads don't work and the boiler doesn't condense very well.

I'm sure balancing rad's is becoming a dieing art, the number of newish systems I go to where all the lockshields are wide open is unbelivable, the folk wonder why all the rads don't work and the boiler doesn't condense very well.

It is such a pain though, I know we should all do it, but how boring is it.

problem ive had before if not a balancing problem, flow and return have been linked together some where airing cupboard or old rad has been linked 1 rad in system doesnt get hot why i dont know but worth a look if balancing dont work

Just because when you turn other rads off, the conservatory rad works, doesn't mean there is no blockage! If a pipe to it, or rad valve is nearly blocked fully & you only have that rad on, it may work well (perhaps not so much in winter). A bit of dirt when new boiler fitted could have blocked pipe or rad valve, or if a Trv fitted, it could be jammed nearly off inside it.

Best , that is all feasable as i asked her if it was powerflushed on boiler change and she didnt know as she wasnt there most of the time , i will as her when i see her if she has bill for job which might list a powerflush , i am just trying to aviod getting to involved myself , have you heard of " love jobs " not good .

The guy that did the instal should really have helped sort it. Most you want to do, if balancing doesn't work miracles, is open each valve of the rad, one at a time & run it into a hose or bucket & perhaps rad taken off first & flushed. Needs two people to make it easier. Hope she gives you plenty of love if it works! :smile:
They say- "no friends in business" !

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more Roger, I was called by a colleague to Powerflush a property, when I had a look at the system I found the problem rad (not heating up) and identified the problem as the fact that the system wasnt balanced. I discretely balanced the system and to the installer's credit he paid me for three hours labour out of sheer embarrasment.

Similar plumbing topics

C
I want to say it's the flow. I followed a...
Replies
Views
Not very many but they do still pop up. Had...
Replies
Views
Yes the ufh should be separate from the rest...
Replies
Views
Uh-Oh "It was working fine before you touched...
Replies
Views
well done you a tricky job well executed and...
Replies
Views
Back