Radiator cover restriction of heat. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Radiator cover restriction of heat. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much extra output should I allow if radiator covers are fitted?

What's the cover made of? How solid/perforated is it?

Very hard to calculate something like that without a good deal of info. Maybe the cover manufacturer would have some information?

Depending on what type of cover you are going to use but generally between 7 to 15 %.
Very broad spectrum - and very hard to get accurate figures.

If you are going to have the radiator covered, make sure you cover your "&% with the heat output.
It will be you that will have to answer the questions if it doesn't heat the area

You could also advise the owner to have extra or larger cuts outs in the radiator cover. Depending on the type, but some don't have enough cut out of base & the upper part, both of which are the most important to allow good convection.
If people want to cover a radiator they can expect to reduce the output.

Hi sym

Your question is a good one - loads of householders fit rad covers I have
one in my new extension. Bluntly there is no specification because the covers
are knocked up DIY/IKEA etc and they really wreck any normal heating calculations.

However there are some steel rad covers - NOW THESE really work - they conduct heat
rather than insulate the heat from the rad.and can actually make the rad perform better

- BUT UNTESTED BY MY DESIGN COMPANY centralheatking

i UOTE=sym;566872]How much extra output should I allow if radiator covers are fitted?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure I've read somewhere domestic heating design guide maybe? That they can knock up to 40% off the output

i couple of 12v computer fans at the bottom moving air through the cover will help.

or one of those fancy myson rads with fans inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Are those outputs at the same delta T? 125...
Replies
Views
S
No point in doing anything with the radiators...
Replies
Views
W
Thanks so much for your responses. Always good...
Replies
Views
Wes Moore
W
Replies
Views
Yes I’d do that too, just shut the radiator...
Replies
Views
Back