Radiator Help!! pipe hot, radiator not | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Radiator Help!! pipe hot, radiator not in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Hi hoping someone may be able to guve me some pointers.
Downstairs radiator lockshield pipe is hot, radiator not at all and temp valve end and pipe not either.

I have taken radiator off and flushed, checked thermostat valve pin is going up and down and played with lockshield valve. Tried turning all rads off in house and boiler in full but still no luck, just makes the pipe feedin it hotter!
The heat is on the pipe, the valve and the ball shape (see pic) part of the bottom of the radiator

0F4518BC-7B54-45D7-AC5B-DA9CE3F33963.jpeg

ADDA70ED-AC2D-4A38-9711-2BEAA1632F09.jpeg

F4172CFD-777E-47A5-A734-34AEAD000C94.jpeg

8069E111-171F-4AF0-BA8F-13DAD0BD0080.jpeg

You should get flow if it’s on or off. However mind if it’s hot. It would imply to me you have a flow problem and we need to ascertain if that’s a radiator or a valve/pipework problem

I would be tempted to take the rad off and put an empty ice cream tub or similar container beneath the lockshield and open it slightly.

Regardless of whether the heating is on or off you should get a good flow of water coming out of the lockshield. That implies the fault is elsewhere.

If you get a very slow drip/sputtering, it means you have a blocked lockshield. Best solution would be to replace it.

Thanks for the pointers. Think i will jave to take rad of at the weekend.
Regarding the microbore, the house was built in 2003, i read sonething saying it was popular in 70’s ?
Yeah it was popular in the 70s and up to present day unfortunately.
It's more prone to blocking due to the smaller diameter, a lot of installers use the crimping type reducers into 15mm valves which are awful if they ever leak, the amount of heat they can deliver is lower etc. Lots of reasons why I prefer good old 15mm from 22mm f/r.
My guess is one of the pipes is bunged up and you'll probably be able to clear it into a bucket once you remove the rad.

Similar plumbing topics

O
Have you tried waggling the pin on the trv...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well done for sorting it. Waggling the trv pin...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Back