Radiator never seems to turn off | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Radiator never seems to turn off in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

I am completely clueless about heating, so I hope one of you knowledgeable souls can help. My mother is bedbound with dementia, and I am trying to understand her heating system. The house and heating system is about 40 years old, I think, but the gas boiler was changed maybe 10 years ago. It is a Glow-worm Flexicom 12HX, and there is a Grundfos water pump in the airing cupboard next to the water tank. The issue I have is that the bathroom radiator seems to be always on, even when the central heating is not. It has a cable attached to it, but I don't know where it leads. Picture attached. I wondered if the radiator was dual fuel, but I seems it's too old for that, and I can't see any element. Has anyone experience of such a thing, and can tell me what is going on? Apologies in advance for any stupidity in the way I have described it!
IMG_3692.jpg

I sometimes get this and was told its because its the first radiator on the central heating run (its also in the bathroom) and not to worry about it. The heating engineer said that if you have your hot water on constantly it sometimes happens - like a safety valve. Mine never gets that hot just warmish.
Would be interested to know the definitive answer from a heating engineer on here! Thanks.

You won't get a definitive answer without looking at the pipework so I'd try and live with it unless you want to throw some money at it.

As said it was once common to pipe the bathroom radiator to come on with the hot water, it could be a bypass or even a bit of reverse circulation (if some other radiators warm up too).

Many thanks for all your prompt help. I'm sure it must be piped to come on with the hot water. I had no idea that was ever common!

It wasn't a bad idea in principle when we had colder, draftier bathrooms.

Allowed you to keep towels warm and knock the edge off the temperature even in summer when central heating wasn't on.

If you really don't want it coming on, turn it off using that lockshield.

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
In its favour this "mishmash" has lasted 25...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Update: I put up with the kettling noise for...
Replies
Views
Back