radiator size, help please | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss radiator size, help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uk1simon

Hello,

I have a simple question. I'm replacing a radiator in my daughter's bedroom. The current radiator is a 20 yrs old single panel one. It seems to me it's a little bit too big for the room. The size of the radiator is 1600x600mm.
The room size is 3.94x2.71x2.3 (LxWxH), double glazing window (3.6m2 area), loft insulation (50cm+), one wall north facing, the other wall west facing. Insulated brick cavity wall.
I typed in these values in various online calculators and they return btu value between 2100 and 3000. I asked a friend of mine who is a plumber and he says the current radiator is an old iron one and it's not efficient compared to todays standards. He recommended to me to get about 2700btu and said a single panel radiator 500x1100mm should do the job.
I always want to ask twice than getting things wrong.
Any advice?

regards,
Simon

My advice would be to get one the same length a fit a thermostatic radiator valve to it! Saves on decorating :)

thanks for your replies.
the room has got two external walls. The window and the radiator are on the north facing wall, don't know whether it matters.
I think I will go for the current size. is it going to be much improvement in comparison to the old one? and is the bigger radiator going to cost me more to run? the boiler will have to heat more water, or the difference will be negligible?

regards,
Simon

Same amount of water. What makes the difference is the convection fins on the rear of the new radiator increase the amount of heating surface area thereby increasing efficiency.

Hi Jon

I am doing a private email to you right now - have a look mate

centralheatking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have fitted one with 2500 output; perfect...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Replace the old radiators larger rooms need 2...
Replies
Views
You could chase the pipes in along the route...
Replies
Views
  • Question
From my other thread (i.e. Rate of heating in...
Replies
Views
Why do folk get obsessed with hiding pipes...
Replies
Views
Back