Radiator Sizing Best Method | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Radiator Sizing Best Method in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanner2k7

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just doing a little poll.

When it comes to radiator sizing what method do you use?

A. Mears Calculator
B. Long Wriiten Method
C. Experience.
D. Computer Software

Thanks for the replies

Just doing a little poll.

When it comes to radiator sizing what method do you use?

A. Mears Calculator
B. Long Wriiten Method
C. Experience.
D. Computer Software

Thanks for the replies

Mears calculater
And computer software
Just depends if on road when need to size

Where do u get the software from?
If you go on heatline website, they have an online version or a pro version which is a CD which they send you, I have just recently received it. This is program I have just got, did have the one from barlo, found it hard to use when working with odd shape rooms.

Quick calculation of cubic feet in room then multiplier to give btu's. My old boss taught me this and there was never a lot of difference between it and longer methods.

Length x width x height in metres.

Multiply by 0.045 for watts for normal room
Multiply by 0.040 for watts for cold room (large windows, 2+ external walls, poor insulation, 2 doors/through draught)
Multiply by 0.045 for watts for warm room (excellent insulation, small window)

which mears calculator there are 2 one for newer houses another for older houses which do people us

ant

Length x width x height (in feet) x 4 for Btu's then go for next rad up!

Mears calculator metric domestic.

STARS updated version ie the downloadable on not the old one on CD

kenny :tongue:

holy thread resurrection.jpg

thread is nearly 3 years old!

im in the 5 btus per cubic foot camp up a bit for living rooms and down a bit for bedrooms the most important rad is the hall never go low on the hall its the first rad the customer feels when he walks in and it will spread round the whole house
the difference in price from one rad to the next size up isnt much so dont try saving money on the rads as it will come back and bite you
ive only ever had a problem with rads size once when i didnt realise the customer was going very open plan and the heat was disapearing up the stairsl uckily there was a couple of singles to double up

I tend to work in kw's with a little bit of mears calc help - as above unless
its a big project (then architects/qs etc spec anyway)

We put plenty of heat downstairs cause it only goes up always do 24inch 2x rads downstairs
and smaller ones upstairs. tend to do kick space heaters in kitchens (myson) or underfloor stuff.

Then usually send in Nathan and his mate to add as much insulation in the roof space as it will take sensibly in 2-3 hours - the stuff is dead cheap anyway CHk

Ray Stafford is now offering a free radiator/house/boiler sizing service anywhere down south
of the M4 carried out by himself personally or his assistant Samantha - call into Williams HQ give the post code and choose who you want to come and do the calculation in person
Phew. I thought I was the last one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Gas inspection happened, and the technician...
Replies
Views
I tightened it up and all has went well, it’s...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Replace the old radiators larger rooms need 2...
Replies
Views
I do have the mr combi app but it’s a ball...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Shaun, I need to investigate. I visited...
Replies
Views
Back