radiators dont get hot enough | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss radiators dont get hot enough in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gerinemo

Hi All
My sisters CH was never great but since my little brother started twiddling knobs in the airing press it has taken a turn for the worst
firstly there seems to be no way of selecting hot water & heating or heating only
in the picture there is 2 pipes goint to what i assume is the coil inside the tank for hot water
there is a motorised valve probably to shut off the hot water part of the system but no aparant way of switching it

Ch Controller is a sunvic & just looks like a timeclock approx 7 years old

if i manually shut off the gate valve at the bottom of the picture the radiators heat up better (still not quite hot )
but no hot water
if i allow the hot water through the coil the radiators are noticably cooler even if left on for hours
one thing that i dont get is why is there a 1/2 in pipe joining the 2 coil pipes ( in the middle of the picture ) should the valve on this be open or closed
its a vokyera boiler and seems to be undersized for a four bed dormer bungalow
any help or advice on what this middle pipe is for would be great
Thanks

IMAG0155_zps2c0f4b1e.jpg
IMAG0150_zps698dce39.jpg
IMAG0151_zpsab9f6c2b.jpg
IMAG0154_zpsfbacff4d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
its a bypass and your system needs to be set up and balanced again to make it work, then slap the hands that played with it to start. the bypass allows a small flow when the valve shuts and if u have trvs and they all close, the pump has somewhere to send its output or it would burn out.

shut the middle valve on the 1/2 inch and crack it open with the pump running so u can just hear a flow. then open the coil valve and close it down enough to allow the rads to warm up and warm the hw coil, too much and itll only warm the coil and not the rads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep never even considered turning it up to full whack
Would it use more gas at full throttle or is it a false economy to run less than full as its running longer at less than full power
you guys are the experts what do most of you customers have theirs set to ?
Also theres no trv's on any of the rads the upstairs gets warmer than down stairs so would it be worth putting trv's on the upstairs to force the heat downstairs
Many thanks for your replies
John

Just throttle the lockshields down on the upstairs rads to force heat downstairs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

G
Could be one of a number. Need to know what...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
They can stick quite easily, try a spray with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
Back