Radiators go cold after two hours - but come back on after running hot water! | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Radiators go cold after two hours - but come back on after running hot water! in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

J

Jill

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice to point our landlord in the right direction for getting us a heating fix.
In the past month, our rads have started to go stone cold two hours after they come in.
The cylinder stays really hot, and the boiler is still on, but it's like the rads are switching themselves off.
It's all of them, not just on one floor or room.
The only way to make them warm again is to run the hot water tank down (Shower is best, but sometimes we leave hot tap on for 5 or 10 minutes works)
So we're wasting both water and heated water!
We've tried turning them off and on at wall thermostat, boiler control knob and the radiators themselves, but no luck.
It's an old boiler (gas check person says it's a "workhorse") but still running fine (can get make and model if it helps solution)

Any advice on what it might be?
I think there's a valve problem as when we turn the hot water on in summer (an hour before we want a shower) it also heats the rads, but not sure if this is related to the rads going cold in winter...

Our landlord is rubbish at getting things fixed, although this is the first proper heating problem we've had in 7 years of renting the house. He's with British Gas boiler care... would this be covered by them?
Would be grateful for any advice.

Left hand end of the orange bar below each post...

Oddly not showing up on mine. Maybe because this is a new account? I'll check back tomorrow - but in the meanwhile, thank you EVERYONE!

Boom! and now it works - maybe I needed a minimum number of posts? All good now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not to my knowledge but they're not things I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As an experiment could you go away for weekend...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'd be grateful for some advice please...
Replies
Views
  • Question
hi have been a plumber for 50 years this month...
Replies
Views
Back