radiators not working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss radiators not working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

A

aa's daddy

Hi, im hoping for some advise please, i have a back boiler in my dining room, i have removed all but one rad from downstairs and capped the pipes. This is due to concrete floors and pipework running around the edge of the room and buried in the concrete. I have put 2 new rads on downstairs and T'd into the system from upstairs, these are not getting hot at all.
So the pipework leaves the boiler in the dining room travels upstairs to 3 rads then a T to 1 further upstairs rad and the 2 new downstairs ones.
There is actually now 1 less rad than there was before and they all got hot before so the boiler can cope.
I have turned the pump up and thats done nothing.

My inital thought was airlock but ive dragged 10l of water through bleed valve which did bring some hot water into the radiator from the lockshield side but went cold as soon as i closed the bleed valve.

My next thought is that the pump is just taking the easiest route and missing the pipes coming down, so im thinking it would be better if the 2 new rads were at the end of the run instaed of being T'd in before the last upstairs one. Will that make any difference?

Just asking before i empty kids bedrooms and get the floor up again!

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks

Have you tried balancing the system

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes after reading some more forums this afternoon, i am going to buy a thermometer tomorrow and give that a go. I think the original downstairs rad will be taking all the heat as its closest to the boiler and on 22mm pipe.

Check the pump is working. If the pumps working then turn off all the rads upstairs and see if it pushes the heat to the rad downstairs

Old back boiler , its possible you have a one pipe system, and these can be a pain in the backside if you disturb them>

Thanks for your reply, it is definately a 2 pipe system as i added the upstairs rads when we moved in as there wasn't any up there.

I will try turning everything else off to see if the heat gets back down to these 2.

Similar plumbing topics

Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I can't afford it at the moment, but I had one...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Zone 1 does the whole house including...
Replies
Views
You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Back