Radiators vs Underfloor heating large space | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Radiators vs Underfloor heating large space in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

J

JamesR8

Is underfloor heating much better than radiators for a largish open plan space? The room is 46 m sq, L shape open plan space with 4.6m of bifolds and another 2m and 3m run of bifold on the L, pitched roof on 3m of the space meaning a bit more than standard ceiling height there, total volume of space is 122m3. Are radiators likely to be worse at heating a big space like this with a large runs of glass?

Is the slab already insulated and tbh on sunny days your going to get quite a bit of thermal gain due to the amount of doors / glass so it go be hard to regulate the heat if you have rads

Wet underfloor is the best thing for this space - but you need to insulate under the slab , then it is surprisingly responsive.
I did this at home when I built a kitchen extension and it is fabulous. My only regret is that at the time I couldn’t be bothered to dig up all the existing floors and put in underfloor everywhere- I should have.

My living room is a large space 7.5 metre by 5 metre, and insulated to current building regs - 150mm in the floor. I was undecided between floating T&G glues and rads vs under floor heating. The central heating system is going to be driven from radiator manifolds with 15mm drops to the rads. Each room has a thermostat controlling its rads.

The issues my friends have had with screeds, and the fear of leaks and issues, I went with T&G floating floor. I currently have a gym in the lounge where we dead live 200KG = no squeaks = on T&G. When under floor goes wrong by the gods you better have deep pockets.

My main issue will be getting rid of the heat in the summer.

Similar plumbing topics

R
  • Question
I am in the process of having an extension for...
Replies
Views
Rupssy
R
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Honeywell Evohome best solution. Far superior...
Replies
Views
P
Mr Speaker: I'm tempted to draught a sarcastic...
Replies
Views
Back