Rain Water harvesting - | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rain Water harvesting - in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
If any of you fine chaps have any experience of these systems, a little advice would be great.

I've priced and won a job to fit one you see! Though the client wants me to advise her what unit to buy and she'll purchase it.

It's a small outbuilding with one W.C and one basin.

I plan to label the basin "NOT DRINKING WATER" and tie the system into all outlets.

What systems have you fitted? What manufacturer do you hold in high regards, what size should I suggest? Is there anything I should know but may have missed?

I priced this with a mate who has experience of them, but he's on holiday for 2 weeks, and the client is chasing me to get the unit ordered and I can't delay any longer.

Cheers all,

Danny

wouldnt have thought its worth the bother for a wc in an outbuilding, wont get a return on the cost for years.

They're not in it for the money. They're on a mains supply which they want to sever (leaving them no back up I know). They've sold off a plot of land which has another property on it (not occupied) - but the developer who's bought the plot is going to cut the out building off from the mains. They're fine with this and don't want to be reconnected into a new meter.

Its a funny old job, though I want to do well by them as I was reccomended by a friend of theirs who is always singing my praises and bringing me in more clients.

We have loads of experience of this type of work - we operate Aquarius Water Engineering but mainly on commercial buildings. Your approach is a bit worrying.

1. Have you calculated the roof area and its potential rainwater yeild ?

A semi detached house roof in the south-east would struggle to be adequate

2. Most rainwater harvesting systems have a mains water back up.
3. Where are you going to store the rainwater - usually underground cistern which has its capacity finely calculated.

My take on it might be to divert the gutters to a high level (as poss) rainwater tank and gravity feed the wc and basin with 50 gall storage. I cannot see it being practical or financially viable.

centralheatking

What I've now done is calculate the roof space, and give the details to the Kingspan rep' who was at the merchants selling these systems today (talk about stroke of luck).

We're fitting a underground cistern with a pump.

There is no need for big capacity. I should have explained clearer. The building is a 'games' room.

As I said, they're not interested in finacial viability. As for practicality, it's just going to be used occasionally, so as long as there is no risk of legionaires or other nasties from the stored water then I won't worry about it too much.

I'm sitting a rain water harvesting course at my local college in seven oaks next month now. Reailised I have a bit to learn about this and the course has only cost me £300, so money well spent I hope. Trouble is I have to fit this before I do the course.

I've fitted all manor of things in the ground, mini sewage treatment plants ect, so I can't see me getting out of my depth here, though I am holding my hands up and saying its new to me.

fair play to you danny - im not entirely clued up on them and have only seen one working once - running the washing machine and w.c - that was a rehau one (german firm) got a nice little app @ REHAU Ltd. - which calculates energy efficiency im sure theres a rain water thing on there somewhere.

at the end of the day if the customer wants something go ahead and do it - as long as its safe and a nice little job like this will give you some know how when you come to bigger projects....

I run my loos off 2 old storage tanks sat on a flat roof, only run out in the summer, otherwise we pee for free in my house ( all airgaps etc are wras approved using twin feeds in to the cisterns, one mains and one grey water), nice and simple works for me

I'll bung a few pics up when it's done. Won't be starting for two weeks though.

I really want to drive the mini digger. I know its sad, but I do, and I won't lie about it!

Cheers for the advice and ideas.

fair play to you danny - im not entirely clued up on them and have only seen one working once - running the washing machine and w.c - that was a rehau one (german firm) got a nice little app @ REHAU Ltd. - which calculates energy efficiency im sure theres a rain water thing on there somewhere.

at the end of the day if the customer wants something go ahead and do it - as long as its safe and a nice little job like this will give you some know how when you come to bigger projects....

Cheers, and very true. This is a nice little job to cut your teeth on.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
It could be best to get him back to have a look
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
  • Question
But they don’t drain the system so can still...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the advice... makes total sense...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There is hopefully a lintel above that new...
Replies
Views
Back