Random radiators working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Random radiators working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

J

jackso

We installed a 30kw boiler to a detached house with 18 rad system and pressurised cylinder about 7 months ago.
Every couple of months the customer rings to say some of the rads work and then don't the next day and that it is random all through the house on different days. We have been back many times and balanced and played with the system and always left with all rads boiling hot.
The house was built ten years ago and after speaking to the customer we have gathered that neither the builders or plumbers were that brilliant, so how the pipework is run and what sizes etc under floor who knows!
We took out a floor standing 35kw combined boiler and storage tank made by a Scottish company I believe but was a pain for the customer to get fixed as nobody knew anything about them. He says the rads worked fine with the old boiler.
We are starting to think that there is something a miss with either pipework runs under the floors or air being sucked in etc???
Any experienced engineers out there that could offer some help? it would be greatly appreciated.

could it be that the pump isnt capable of powering all the radiators all the time, its easy to balance rads to get them all hot when actually, some are cooling as others are heating up. i guess all the radiators are reasonably small as a 30kw for HW and HTG sounds a bit small.

As Ermintrude says a 30 kw system boiler is alot of power. The customer has turned off 3 large radiators and still has the same problem with random radiators working even some very close to the boiler. If the boiler wasn't big enough it would work fine once the 3 large rads were turned off, essentially taking 5kw off the system.

I was in a house other day . "Nice custard, bang tidy in fact" 3 bed semi 1 bath 17lpm Ok dumb bum. Boiler and rads full of cavity wall poly balls. Balls were obscuring manifold randomly. 10mm copper.

I agree with ermintrude defiantly sounds like something meandering around the system, had one on a system with 15mm feeds. the only way i could convince customer it needed a good flush was by getting him to hold the flow and return on a sluggish rad and i hit the lockshield with a nylon hammer. he soon pulled his hand off when it got hot.

If its random radiators that are affected, and that when you go around and have a tinker they all come on its not the boiler. Id put some cleaner in for a while and give it a good flush through whatever it is sounds like its wandering round the system.

Hi Missplumb
Just like you to know you were right regarding the pump. We have fitted another 15-50 on the pipework aswell as the integral one on the boiler and it works a dream ! everyday is a school day !! many thanks

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
P
Start turning off radiators around the house...
Replies
Views
The OP mentioned that he has a "Vailant home...
Replies
Views
Back