Rcession and Work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rcession and Work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

bcp

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Many posts relate to trainees or prospective trainees having been advised/sold/read/seen that there is a huge shortage of Plumbers in the big wide world. I heard a snippet on Radio 4 a couple of days ago talking about recession statistics and who had been most affected (i.e. which group was the largest increase, signing on for Jobseekers Allowance). I hate to say it, but it was Plumbers! Don't quote me word for word and I did not have written proof of these stats in my hands, but it was from a 'substatial' source. so Ladies and Gents - don't always believe what you hear about shortages. Be realistic and go into this business with your eyes wide open.

I am not surprised,
New builds developments etc we need loads of trades!!!!!!!!!!! all stopped now plumbers laid off no one taking on at the moment dole or self employed? prices around my area are being pushed down quite abit more new companies everyday.

i think what could happen is new companys with no work will soon fold and move on, also plumbers that are in the trade will move on to new horizons to find work so when the trades do eventually pick up there may be a slight shortage or it may break even.

I worked for a property developing company (not as a plumber i might add) and due to the economic downturn,all our tradesmen were laid off and the company has folded.Times are tough in the construction industry,but lets just hope its temporary.
But if you look around,there are still sites being developed and some developers are going full steam ahead.

Yes, but the developers go bust leaving you out of pocket - beware of contract work at the moment,especially if supplying materials, could be a lot of very expensive debt. Things are gonna get worse still with everyman for himself and lots of people after the work, keep you regulars happy and don't be reckless or greedy and don't rip off your own - a lot of "colleagues" out there out for themselves so don't be too trusting -keep things small & sweet and remember a lot of a little is better than nothing at all.

Very interesting stuff. I echo the caution about contract work, and being left out-of-pocket, even by 'private' customers. Wherever possible, I always get costs for significant materials/parts up front. Don't forget that there are many buy to let landlords going under and hard pushed because their tenants cannot pay the rent. They still need work doing, but may not be in a position to pay you.

my main contract went **** up just after xmas didnt lose any money but did 30 g of work for them last year have been surviving on call out work and the odd boiler change but even these have dried up havent worked for nearly a month now after 30 years self employed i think im going to fold it all up and sign on

have been surviving on call out work and the odd boiler change but even these have dried up havent worked for nearly a month now after 30 years self employed i think im going to fold it all up and sign on
Frightening but not a rare tale at the moment. What part of the world are you in?

Steve- similar situation for me. Have just been picking up odds and sods for the last couple of months. I know that there's plumbers in my area charging less then half of what i do- how can professionals possible hope to compete with that in the current climate?

You have to wonder how long you can survive only working maybe 1 day a week before i pack it in!

its very easy look in plubmer free mag found as most merchant hpm
gas installer and oil installer there lots of adverts for courses but no jobs adverts been in the job for 27 year and ran a good buisness would never take on some one unless they have 5 years in industry
your wasting your time paying for the courses theres no jobs out there for new plumber
pure your money into college there ripping you off
or please just send me cheque and i will show you the way to the dole
cost only £3000 or £10000 or if you only have £500 i will take that
dont be foolish its all hype
in my own business are profit is down by 80 percent and have had to lay 4 workers off

To those who read all this nonsense about the shortage of plumbers and the huge wages they command , tell me , how many plumbing jobs to you actualy see advertised ??

Seems to me theres more short courses advetised offering quick training so you can get 50k + year a jobs then there is actual jobs.

Only going back 6 or 7 years ago i was getting 3 or 4 calls a week from different companys or contractors offering work and i could pick and choose who i`d work for , nowadays i`ll be lucky if if get a phone call in a month.

Had a leaflet come through the door from trade for skills or something with all the hype about plumbers and what you earn Even with the recession! Hav'nt laughed so hard for a long time.
Yep same here, Im a plasterer by trade and had next to no work this year. Im going to sign on. Even with advertising, flyers up in post offices, and even resorted to walking the streets with leaflets. Nothing. Only recent jobs Ive had are going back to my old job painting and decorating, so barely ticking over.
Ive canned advertising in the paper now, becasue quite honestly I cant afford to.

hope things improve for the future alan,
where are you, i have odd jobs come in for plastering (as im not too good), also decorating jobs with plenty of mates who are booked up for the rest of the year?.

I'm the same, currently working for Watkins plumbing, only job i can get and it's Pricework and the money's terrible. i hear they're one of the better payers in london too!!

All these company's advertise about plumbers who've been doing it years, work solely for themselves doing domestic properties and always Gas Trained and registered.

I recently completed my Tech Cert 2 and NVQ 2 and did the two years at college, it will get me nothing at this time. Such a shame, i do enjoy plumbing but have been thinking of doing something else if this doesn't pick up soon.

Hi Redsaw, im not far from you in Derby.
Id love to get into doing plumbing, and like you Aqua Mechanica have just got all the quals, have done a few jobs here and there. Timing was wrong though getting into it at the wrong time, but I am happy I did it though. Havnt got NVQ though as no one round here seems that interested as work for themselves is tough. There is a plumber down the road from me I spoke to a few days ago and he's packing it in. Hope it does pick up soon, but I really cant see it happening for a wee while yet. I see alot of general maintainance vans around, they seem to be getting work, (not saying if their work is great though and may be due to alot of guys jumping into it) But I think its time to be diverse and not just stick to one thing.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

D
Replies
Views
Back