Re-piping rads from above - what's a reasonable price? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Re-piping rads from above - what's a reasonable price? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FusionIP

Would anyone be so kind as to give a rough range of reasonable cost for re-piping work? First quote seems pricey. (North of England).

In a nutshell:

Unfindable leak in concrete in downstairs CH circuit. We therefore have five rads that need to be repiped from above.

They are all either directly or very nearly below an upstairs rad, with only carpet and floorboard/flooring board to lift, so pretty straightforward access to flow and return.

Three of the five will need to have the new pipes chased into the wall. The other two can have surface mounted pipework.

System is 1970s 'normal' bore copper, although we've no fundamental objection to the new work using push fit if cheaper/quicker.

We understand tat the final cost can be affected by numerous issues (including who does the chasing out of the wall and the cost of re-plastering) but a starting point would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

near impossible to quote something like that blind

If the quote you have received seems high then reach out for a second one

Hi Fusion, It would be easier if you posted the price you have been quoted and we can tell you if it sounds unreasonable.

Sounds like a lot of money for a few pipes to 5 rads.
Could be a problem with upstairs circuit being overloaded if the downstairs now joined to it and might potentially require larger pipes upstairs. So could be much harder & costlier than just " repiping from above". Hopefully not though.
Get someone else to price it

is that for any other works as well eg new boiler, new rads to up stairs etc?

what type of boiler and system do you have? eg. combi, fully pumped, gravity/ pumped, one pipe or two pipe..........

if its normal modernish system its sounds pricey, but theres alot of things that can effect price and if the system as a whole needs converting then its very hard to say. Sometimes its as cheap to have a complete new system/boiler.

I'm northern.

If it's as you say, half that price should do it.

But a look at the job would be needed.

Sounds like the company who priced it up don't actually want the job so have put in a stupid quote!!

Get a few more quotes for your own piece of mind.

Its all pie in the sky. Should be getting a minimum of three quotes.

Stone, brick or block walls? Ceiling height? Coving, picture rail, dado rail? Floorboards or chipboard, or both? Furniture everywhere?

I priced a job I done today over the phone as it's about a 30 min drive. Boy did I regret it! It took me from 9:30am to 4:30pm to hang 4 new rads with pipework alterations. I had to move and plumb back in a dishwasher, washing machine and fridge freezer. I had to move a giant wall unit and 3 seater sofa. They had all brand new cream carpets also so I had to go and buy plastic backed dust sheets as mine are a bit manky. Also the plumbers favorite, no drain off cock anywhere.

hi this is a long shot but are you from st helens by any chance this sounds the exact same as a job we went to.

Would anyone be so kind as to give a rough range of reasonable cost for re-piping work? First quote seems pricey. (North of England).

In a nutshell:

Unfindable leak in concrete in downstairs CH circuit. We therefore have five rads that need to be repiped from above.

They are all either directly or very nearly below an upstairs rad, with only carpet and floorboard/flooring board to lift, so pretty straightforward access to flow and return.

Three of the five will need to have the new pipes chased into the wall. The other two can have surface mounted pipework.

System is 1970s 'normal' bore copper, although we've no fundamental objection to the new work using push fit if cheaper/quicker.

We understand tat the final cost can be affected by numerous issues (including who does the chasing out of the wall and the cost of re-plastering) but a starting point would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back