re-pressurised my boiler & now it drips a lot... | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss re-pressurised my boiler & now it drips a lot... in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jpac

Hello - just forund this forum and hoping one of you kind people can help me.

I have a Vokera Options boiler, and the fault lights came on today, telling me i needed to repressurise it.

So I did that. following the instrucitons in the manual, and about ten minutes later, loads of steaming hot water gushed from the outlet pipe (the one that goes from the boiler to the outside). That lasted for about 2-3 minutes, on and off, and since then, there has been a steady drip/trickle of hot water from the outlet pipe.

Is that normal? Have i done something wrong? Any advice appreciated!

John

you have either put to much water in or the filling loop is faulty ,either way you have cooked the prv(pressure relief valve) and need a new one

Seriously? Damn! I literally just followed the instructions, and only had the filling loop open for a few seconds, so that's annoying.

Any ideas how much it'll cost me to get a new one installed?

Before u go getting someone in , repressurise the sytem to the correct pressure, then operate the prv a few times to clear the seals of the prv of an grit etc that may be causing it to weap.
Then ensure that you repressurise the system correctly and ensure you turn off both valves on the filling loop and disconnect the filling loop pipe to prevent accidental over charging, as we all do!!!

See how it goes, you may well get back to normal operations by doing that, not sure how you can cook a prv, do you need to boil or fry them?

boil,fry or michael wave the prv is probably dead,as old plumber says you may be able to clear the grit out (if your lucky)if not you may be able to change the prv head there not hard to do your self

Thanks gasman.

The pressure seems fine - it was at 3 bar, and returned there of its own accord after I flushed the PRV too.

Tried to disconnect the loop, but got soaked in the process. The valves looked as if they were both fully shut, but lots of water nonetheless, so I gave up!

Still look sto be dripping a bit, so looks like i'll need to get someone out.

Cheers though

Thanks gasman.

The pressure seems fine - it was at 3 bar, and returned there of its own accord after I flushed the PRV too.

Tried to disconnect the loop, but got soaked in the process. The valves looked as if they were both fully shut, but lots of water nonetheless, so I gave up!

Still look sto be dripping a bit, so looks like i'll need to get someone out.

Cheers though
should only be at 1 /1.5 cold 3 bar will lift the prv if the loops not shutting it needs to be replace

thanks.

its making a lot of noise now, pressure keeps rising to about 3.5 bar. is this dangerous or can it wait until morning? is there anything i can do now that will help?

thanks.

its making a lot of noise now, pressure keeps rising to about 3.5 bar. is this dangerous or can it wait until morning? is there anything i can do now that will help?

if you cannot turn it off.

if i was you i would turn the main stop tap off over night

this videos not great but it shows you how to top it up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4AKFZg4TQU&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - how to top up the pressure on a combi boiler or sealed system boiler .www.plumbersforum.co.uk[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Could be the expansion relief or an overflow...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
Expansion vessel undersized, blocked flexi to...
Replies
Views
Back