re-siting new boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss re-siting new boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

perebrine

Hi,
We have decided we need a new boiler & contacted a recommended local plumber. After looking round he told me what I needed & is going to give me a quote for the work. He mentioned he is going to move the boiler from the Kitchen to the garage (We have access to it from indoors). He has done several boilers near me & one in the same road & said he did the same.
I never asked why & it might sound stupid now, but wouldn't it be easier & more economic just to replace the old one? I will ask him when comes back.
Ours is approaching 30 years old.

He who pays the piper......

(As long as it's within the regs!)

If you need a new boiler then why is he quoting to move it?

I honestly don't know, I will ask when the quote arrives.
I think he said something about the size of the pipework or it could of been my old boiler only has 3 wires & the new regs state 5.
To be honest I did say ok, only because I thought it would be easier for him, therefore cheaper for me.

I agree & I don't want it done on the cheap, he seemed a genuinely nice fella. I just wondered of it was the norm to move it.

Are you changing from a heat only boiler or combi? Or straight swap? ( heat only for heat only or combi for combi)

I agree & I don't want it done on the cheap, he seemed a genuinely nice fella. I just wondered of it was the norm to move it.

It isn't "the norm" but there are a number of reasons why it might be a good idea. Did he mention a reason for proposing the move?

I think it have been the existing boiler pipework (Diameter) or it needs new wiring, I think 5 wires instead of 3.

I think it have been the existing boiler pipework (Diameter) or it needs new wiring, I think 5 wires instead of 3.

It's quite likely that the gas supply was undersized for a modern boiler - its a common thing that installer come up against, and upgrading pipework in expensively finished fitted kitchens can be difficult. I'm a bit surprised about the wiring thing though. It might just be that people from the plumbing world naturally disregard the problems of electricians, but how hard can it be to run a bit of 5-core?

It's quite likely that the gas supply was undersized for a modern boiler - its a common thing that installer come up against, and upgrading pipework in expensively finished fitted kitchens can be difficult. I'm a bit surprised about the wiring thing though. It might just be that people from the plumbing world naturally disregard the problems of electricians, but how hard can it be to run a bit of 5-core?

its hard to make it look neat :D seen loads with no clips etc

My house is now coming up for 30 years old so that could well be the reason. He's done several on my estate & said he's done the same thing. I'm not doubting his skills or knowledge I was just curious as to why the move, I wish I'd asked him at the time now. lol

if hes done lots on the estate the same way theres probably a good reason why its better to move it. Speak to him and ask for the reason again if he wants your business he will be happy to talk you through the work and except you make the final choice.

most likely needs larger gas run, if your meter is in the garage, makes it simpler especially if primaries are close to garage wall as well.

That sounds likely, the gas meter & electric fuse box are in the garage.

most likely needs larger gas run, if your meter is in the garage, makes it simpler especially if primaries are close to garage wall as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Back