Really good/excellent quality work | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Really good/excellent quality work in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

D

Deleted member 120897

The “what we all working on thread” inspired me to create this one. I see some top quality work posted on here. My questions are:
  • Have you always been that good, eg since serving your time?
  • Did someone train you for the extra stuff, eg electrics, joinery, tiling?
If you could pass any tips on I’d be grateful to be half as good as you. I do try hard to be neat, but when it comes to installs - be it a bath or boiler, radiator or basin, I just don’t seem to know straight away my approach, and then sometimes I’ll change my mind whilst doing it. Also I sometimes struggle with the pipe bending, as some of the “mentors” I was put with couldn’t use them properly either! One even used a spring only and he started to prefer hep20.

90% of my work is boiler breakdowns now so that puts the practice off, but are there any words of wisdom? The reason being, if I changed jobs, but it’s also handy to know.

Confidence in yourself and your abilities is one of the most important things only you can better yourself bud, think about how your going to approach a particular job don't just dive in then realise there's a issue really think about your first fix , boilers are a doddle to keep neat and tidy they supply a template of pipe centres fix your clips first then the pipework does its self . Kop

Confidence in yourself and your abilities is one of the most important things only you can better yourself bud, think about how your going to approach a particular job don't just dive in then realise there's a issue really think about your first fix , boilers are a doddle to keep neat and tidy they supply a template of pipe centres fix your clips first then the pipework does its self . Kop
Cheers mate, appreciate the reply. 👌

No always learning and finding different ways to do stuff / new fittings / methods

No but I’ve always been into electronics and designing new kit

Take 5-10 mins to just look and plan out the runs I’m lucky I can visualise where things go but if you can’t draw it out *** packet style

As for bending that’s a time skill that can’t be rushed practice on the off cuts / old tube

Don’t fill up late in the day eg anything past 2pm and it waits until tomorrow

Try to get your first fix spot on saves time doing the second fix and makes it look neat also take pictures before any plasterboard / plaster goes up of your pipework / the wall it’s in

If it’s a brease block wall nock your drill bit down a size eg 5.5mm for red change this to 5mm and a 6 for brown

No always learning and finding different ways to do stuff / new fittings / methods

No but I’ve always been into electronics and designing new kit

Take 5-10 mins to just look and plan out the runs I’m lucky I can visualise where things go but if you can’t draw it out *** packet style

As for bending that’s a time skill that can’t be rushed practice on the off cuts / old tube

Don’t fill up late in the day eg anything past 2pm and it waits until tomorrow

Try to get your first fix spot on saves time doing the second fix and makes it look neat also take pictures before any plasterboard / plaster goes up of your pipework / the wall it’s in

If it’s a brease block wall nock your drill bit down a size eg 5.5mm for red change this to 5mm and a 6 for brown
Cheers Shaun, some good pointers there 👍🏻

Practice makes perfect.
Try and visualise how it will look. Make a drawing, pencil lines on the wall for pipes.
Lay things out that have to be fitted, for a boiler - filter, lime fighter, filling loop, shock arrestor
Get pipes in the correct order to avoid cross overs.
Ply the wall for a new boiler

check out PB plumber for inspiration

Practice makes perfect.
Try and visualise how it will look. Make a drawing, pencil lines on the wall for pipes.
Lay things out that have to be fitted, for a boiler - filter, lime fighter, filling loop, shock arrestor
Get pipes in the correct order to avoid cross overs.
Ply the wall for a new boiler

check out PB plumber for inspiration
Thanks Scott, I even watched some of his videos and picked up some useful tips. I’ve been picked up some good fault finding tips from Roy Fugler via Allen Hart”s Youtube videos. 😁

I haven’t seen those. I will have a look
Yeah, it’s Viva training academy. Roy’s an ex-Baxi trainer for those that don’t know him. He was based at Warrington, but he’s since returned to Yorkshire.

Testing: a gas valve, aps’s, thermocouples. Servicing boilers, explanations of components, etc.

Probably all basic easy stuff to many on here.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Both the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
1. Is the new towel rad fed from the heating...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back