Really remote heating controls - setting the heating when you are work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Really remote heating controls - setting the heating when you are work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

Mrs Tara Plumbi

Last edited by a moderator:
Honeywell have got a sister company that do these, but I forget the name.

I do alot of these but they are mostly made by the boiler or UFH manufacturers

I have this at home. It's a DIY job but works well but probably due an upgrade as its been in five years and there are smarter ways of doing it now.

I've been testing the Heatmiser WIFI stat with RF link in my own place and it works fairly well. Wanted to be sure of reliability before installing in a punters house. Went with RF as it is worse case scenario over wired and it works 99% of the time, I've had to cycle the power twice since Christmas on the RF unit, mounted in the loft next to the boiler.

The WIFI stat I've installed in an adaptable box so I can move it around the house. The iPad and iPhone app have been updated a couple of times since January but still need more work. The biggest problem before the last update was not being able to login from another iPad / iPhone unless the previous user had logged out.

Also WIFI stat is also loosing time, around 30 minutes per 3 weeks. Don't understand why, feels like I've gone back to winding clocks manually!

Different manufacturers have devices on the market now which I'm looking at trying, don't think I could recommend the Heatmiser as a fit and forget solution unless you like tweaking.

To add... Being able to sit in a chair or when away from home and turn on and off the heating works for us. You can also access the built in webserver in the stat to log the temperature changes within the home as you might with a Trend system in a commercial building. It has been an eye opener how quickly my place loses heat when the heating goes off.

Last edited:
Amazing technology, Mate in Hampstead, can do every thing on his I pad and I phone. When he is away he can watch the home CCTV, open and close windows, reset burglar alarm, turn the heating on and off, reset temperature, turn lights on and off. I don't know what he used to get this all working, he is an IT and electronics techy, but its impressive stuff. Don't know why you would want to open and close your windows when your away though?

Hi Tara!

My names Zoe I work for the connected homes team at British Gas. We offer and install Remote Heating Control.

We would offer to install a new wireless thermostat in your home along with a hub that connects to your broadband router via Ethernet cable & we also wire a receiver onto your boiler.

This equipment would then give you the ability to control your heating remotely. You can turn the boiler on or off, even turn the temperature up or down wherever you are.

With our new updated app you can now also set a heating schedule from your mobile smart phone or over the web.

I’ve included a link to our website.

So if you would like to get in touch we would love to hear from you. Details of our telephone numbers & email address are on the website.

britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/remote-heating-control.html?bglink_id=imm10041

Hope to hear from you soon

Zoe

How about you sell me the parts and I install it??

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we only offer Remote Heating Control as part of a professional install.

Would you consider a professional install? I would be happy to get in touch with you.

Thanks
Zoe
Connected Homes

No, I could my own professional install though. Given BG reluctance to allow 3rd party installers to fit the system I will be looking at "more flexible" solutions.

Tara runs a plumbing and heating outfit.
she isnt a consumer.

as such BG woulden't even consider having anything to do with a third party installer.

tbh i woulden't consider having bg install controls on any of my jobs as that would be too costly..........

nice sales plug but sadly mis aimed :)

Back