Reasonable price for a big job | General Plumbing Jobs Discussion | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Reasonable price for a big job in the General Plumbing Jobs Discussion area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adi

Hi, I am sorry if there were similar posts before but I believe mine is a bit more complex. I just got a job offer, one of those you don't get too often, basically it's about stripping and replacing 8 bathrooms, entire pipe work (water+waste) and radiators (no work with gas involved) in a small hotel. I live in London and the job is in the north so I would need to stay away from home for some time (they provide accommodation). I was asked if I am happy to do it but I simply do not have any idea of how much I should charge, also it's a bit tricky as I can't go to see that place before giving a quote, just accept or reject the job. Can somebody help?

Reject imho.....going in blind

you can always go and have a look. if you don't you'll be on the backfoot.

if you look you can give a sensible quote.
if you don't then your best bet would be to say you provide us with food, fuel costs, accommodation and pay us a day rate.

I know it's not wise to give a quote without looking at the place first but from the other side it's a bit hard for me to spend 14 hours driving up and down just to say yes or no, so I feel headache now, it may be a good money maker or it will give me extra problem

They provide your Food,fuel, your room and pay you a day rate then. And they supply all materials.
without seeing you wont even know what the walls are made of! Its bad enough quoting blind for one thing. But 7 bathrooms is a recipe for a disaster.

Hi Adi,

For the size of the job and all the unknowns - it would be hard enough to provide a quote after seeing the job.
You won't know the condition of any of the existing services but you could get a fair idea after seeing the place.

Going in blind could cause you grief.
Very had to provide a detailed quote for works allowed for and all assumptions and exclusions.

It sounds like a fairly substantial job - something you could make good money on.
It could be well worth a trip up there to have a look.

If you take this job on you need to be clear with them your terms I would say you need stage payments agreed. As for quoting for this job with little detail it will possibly end up disputes over extras, payments etc.
I am working on a project at the moment where the main builder charges cost +20% on all labour materials etc he has worked this way for a long time and very established the customer seams very happy with this way of working.
Perhaps you could try a similar thing in this case and if you have to get extra labour in you will be making 20%.
Try something possibly like this I am sure you could do something to suit this job.
Labour rate £ for 8 hour day +
Supply of any materials or hired in plant
All above + % + vat
All works done will be invoiced every 14 days and paid within 7 days of date of invoice.
As long as a good days work is being carried out every one should be happy.
And no spending all that time quoting should not take you to long to put something together.

Yeah, just day rate it, + expenses (paid weekly) + materials. If you're going up North on a promise and to stay there away from home, the trust should be there enough for them to accept a day rate setup.

work out how much you would want for one such in london, times it by 8 then add 25% (at least)for the hassle

Hi again and thanks everybody. I didn't mention before I know this guy as he owns lots of properties across UK and I was doing a few jobs for him already here in London, which doesn't change the fact it's too hard to give a quote without going there first and it may put me in a trouble. It looks like I better go there next week to avoid troubles

I would never price a job like this, too many variables to remain competitive. Always waiting on other trades etc, and usually walking on egg shells as its a hotel. Can't usually have any down time on services. If the guy knows you, he should be happy to have you on day rate.

Lancashire, 8 bathrooms, London firm.
Does this happen to be in Bolton by any chance?

Edit:
Ahh thinking about it, the job had UFH so no rads as per the OP...
Thought it was a long shot ;)

Last edited:
Hi, I am sorry if there were similar posts before but I believe mine is a bit more complex. I just got a job offer, one of those you don't get too often, basically it's about stripping and replacing 8 bathrooms, entire pipe work (water+waste) and radiators (no work with gas involved) in a small hotel. I live in London and the job is in the north so I would need to stay away from home for some time (they provide accommodation). I was asked if I am happy to do it but I simply do not have any idea of how much I should charge, also it's a bit tricky as I can't go to see that place before giving a quote, just accept or reject the job. Can somebody help?

be carefull mate they talk a bit funny up here and drink real beer

just charge your london day rates plus a factor for accommodation and travel costs, should be ok then, unless your rates are too cheap now and your being used as they cost to much up north.

Nip up on the train and have a look. It will be quicker than driving up, and if you book in advance, probably way cheaper.

If you go up North take a translator with you as they speak a different language North of Cirencester !

I was wondering if that would be the case..you somehow knowing the person whom asked you to do the work a fair distance from your home.

He obviously trusts you - or has some trust in you -.

If that's the case, just be fair, reasonable, circumspect and up-front about the situation.
It sounds like you are on a good thing with this person.

Do your best to keep it that way.

This might sound cynical - but,

It would be far easier for the person you are working for the find another plumber, than you to find another customer like this person.

Oz Plumber

Give a rough estimate, as we all know estimates can go up or down, but daywork sounds best to me, especially if working away. Expense all paid for plus your day rate. Sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Life is too short to worry about customers...
Replies
Views
It’s probably not mate,as long as your doing...
Replies
Views
Yes
Replies
Views
Back