Recommendations for Part P Training College in London? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Recommendations for Part P Training College in London? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a good training college to do Part P in London? Ideally (but not essential) a college that also does other plumbing bolt-ons such as Water Regs and Unvented - notice need to renew them!

OCLI seems reasonable and did meet a guy who did his plumbing 6129 levels 2 and 3 with them who made no complaints. Not sure I am that keen though on the home study and then arranging to come in to do practicals when facilities available. Seems a bit lonely and not enabling much networking. But maybe its the way to go with these short courses?!

Other companies I have come across include PASS Training and Development (Watford) and Trade Skills 4U (Crawley) - they have link on this website. Both of providers give good advice on websites.

Many thanks

michcosg

I did my part P and Unvented with Logic4training.

A good team IMO.
MM

Able Skills Dartford. Very good and very reasonably priced. They do all the plumbing courses too...

Hi Chris
I wanted to do Part P because I would like to be able to install electrical showers, pumps, water heaters and the odd light and fan without having to call a sparks.

I would like to have to do the minimum which I presume is defined scope but I suspect thats a bit nieve??

The Trade Skills 4 U website make the following points:

[h=3]Entry Requirements[/h]You must be able to complete the skills of the 5 Day Domestic Installation Workshop TS4U-MOD1 Course unaided before attending this City & Guilds Level 3 VRQ Part P course.
[h=3]New to the electrical industry?[/h]If you are new to the industry, then you should be aware that this course alone will not give you the skills necessary for you to become a competent Domestic Installer.
We would strongly suggest that you would need to undertake the 5 Day Domestic Installation Course, City and Guilds 2382 17th Edition and the City and Guilds 2392 Installation and Testing courses. These courses will offer you plenty of high quality training and qualifications to register with an Electrical Safety organisation such as NICEIC or ELECSA.

Over 95% of people new to the industry follow the 17 Day Multi Course route we offer and go on to be Domestic only Electricians.

I guess I might be persuaded to also do the 5 day installation course but do I really have to C&G 2382 and 2392?

you could try your luck on the dark side and ask the spark forum

[DLMURL="http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forum.php"]Electricians Forum | Electrical Advice Forum | An electrical forum for electricians in the UK | Electricians Forum[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
better to do a proper c+g course at night college and learn the lot. you wont learn much if they teach you the 17th ed and 2392 in a few days of training, all you will get taught is how to pass the exams with little theroy and practice.

It all depends on what electrical knowledge & skills you have at the moment, can you wire a heating system ? Could you break into a ring main & install a spur to feed a booster pump or poo chopper ? Most people would know that electrical work should be notified under part P by just like plumbing this is poorly regulated. It sounds like you only what to do electrical work in association with your main trade so defined scope sounds right but it does depend on what skills you already have ?

If you want to fiddle with a consumer unit to run a new supply for a shower then you will need Full Scope.
No big deal really if you already know enough about electricioning (a new word).
The big question IMO is do you really want to spend a grand on the course and the necessary test equipment and then pay a fortune to join a self certification body sigh as NICEIC, ELECSA or KFC.

I've done a range of electrical exams, defined scope, full scope, 17th edition and recently 2391 testing and inspection none of them have covered enough for me to walk away thinking I was competent enough to know what I was doing. It's only because I was fitting P.V last year and doing a lot of reading up that I realised how little I knew but still passed the exam!

I wouldn't just go for part P, you'll be more dangerous than before you sat it!

Last edited:
I did one of the first Defined Scope part P courses in 2005. Paid Corgi a small fee to be part of their scheme.

Last year I paid nearly £700 to do an update 17th edition course after 2 days walked out as the course was purely where to find the answers in the new reg book.

Decided to give up the sparky side ie power points as too expensive, and cannot bear to pay another governing body for
such little work/ profit. The local sparkies are struggling for work and keen.

Kev.

Thanks guys thats a real insight.

Sounds like I might be better off, at least in the short term, to just read up a bit about it, to get some appreciation of what I paying a sparks to do. Maybe later if I am feeling a bit more confident or can afford to not necessarily make a return on the course fees, to do the defined scope or perhaps an introductory course.

Have only basic electrical experience - wired lights, and simple units but have not for example added a spur to a ring circuit. Have some understanding of the theory - did study Physics to quite a high level but seem to have some difficulties retaining the concepts!

It is a bit of pain though getting someone in, if need to replace a shower or water heater! I would like it to be all nice and safe and kosher but maybe I should get some training, perhaps a basic course as opposed to the Part P defined scope and then feel my way a bit!! Maybe also checking with electricians as opposed to relying on having a Part P 'qualification' and if necessary then calling them in.

Perhaps talking to them on the other side might also be worth it!

you can replace a shower yourself without needing to notify as long as you dont alter the fixed wiring. You can connect an appliance to an existing socket/spur, change a light fitting/switch etc.... without having to be able to notify its only when you alter or add to a circuit you need to start being able to notify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
J
well ,,,is it? imgona sign up for a 6129...
Replies
Views
jim55
J
M
do you have any plumbing quals?
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
M
Good morning folks I am writing to you...
Replies
Views
Marty32
M
L
Re: Cowboy plumbers in London: PLUMB FORCE...
2 3
Replies
Views
Plum Bob 66
P
Back