Red wheelie valve in airing cupboard | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Red wheelie valve in airing cupboard in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob the bridge

Could you please tell me what the function of the red "Wheelie" valve, (picture attached) situated in my airing cupboard and whether it should be open or closed. Thanks

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 60
It's called a gate valve.

The function might be as a by-pass valve.

Count the turns from fully open to fully closed and go somewhere in the middle.

What's the problem with the system?

Many thanks for the reply, no real problem. I did not know what this valve was for. Nobody seemed to know. One guy told me it was there to assist in draining down the system but that did not make sense to me. The only thing I noticed is that when the valve is fully closed with the CH off, the pipework makes a rushing noise. I have only just had the system refurbed and did not want to mess things up. thanks again.

It looks like a basic bypass which will let water flow when both two port valves are shut and the pump over run is active. The valve should be opened enough to let a flow through. Sometimes it is connected to the towel rail circuit.

Might be better having a proper automatic bypass valve fitted, rather than an always slightly open gatevalve, in my opinion. Needs a heating engineer to do it and set it though.
My thinking is an auto bypass valve will remain fully closed unless the system needs it to open, when little or no flow is happening. But a gatevalve always open just derates the circulating pumps ability to pump around rads. Really just short circuiting a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for all the responses. Managed to sort...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It could be best to get him back to have a look
Replies
Views
  • Question
You were spot on mate. Cistern ball valve...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
When you flush the toilet, do you hear any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
mcalpine sa10v - can you get a replacement...
Replies
Views
Back