Regs for Boilers in cupboards | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Regs for Boilers in cupboards in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse and has been working without issue until now. The pilot light went out and now wont relight. It lights but as soon as you release the button it goes out.

The thermocouple is about 20 years old so I suspect that's the issue - but appreciate very well it might not be and it may be a new boiler situation as most parts are obsolete.

I've just had someone round and they wont even look at it because they say the ventilation in the cupboard doesn't meet current regs so they cant work on it.

There is a floor vent directly in front of the boiler and its clear air is coming through - which he admitted. I asked if the ventilation would still be a problem if I had a new boiler and was told I couldn't have a floor standing boiler in that cupboard anymore and it would need to be a new combi boiler located elsewhere.?

Ideally I'd like to get the the thermocouple checked and replaced if thats the only issue - but in any event I don't want a combi coiler - I want a heat only boiler .

So I just need to understand if what I've been told is correct. Is it impossible to be repaired (if it can) because of the current ventilation regs (so are they retrospective) . And is it possible to have a floor standing heat only boiler in a cupboard?

I would get another engineer to be honest would have to see the floor vent but it’s acceptable to use floor level ventilation providing the terms are met etc

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Back