Regular boiler cuts out? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Regular boiler cuts out? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. What would cause a regular boiler to cut out straight after firing up?

Regular what? i'm guess you mean open vent? does the pump run? that's about as far as we can go tech wise mate, you know the rules :)

Yes open vent. I suspect the pump has burnt out. Apparently a rad valve went pop on a custards radiator today so her neighbour came round and isolated the tank in the loft so that he could fix the valve. On doing so and refilling the system, she bled the valves and now her boiler keeps going off.

Yes open vent. I suspect the pump has burnt out. Apparently a rad valve went pop on a custards radiator today so her neighbour came round and isolated the tank in the loft so that he could fix the valve. On doing so and refilling the system, she bled the valves and now her boiler keeps going off.

Because she drained it and left the system running. I'd agree with chappy and say the pumps kaput.

I thought as much. As a non gas engineer (yet) would I be able to replace it?

I did say if the heating was left running whilst the system was drained it could have burned out the pump

Either that or an airlock, which is very possible, you need to check if the pump is still spinning ;)

I've been asked to look at it in the morning. So gonna check whether the pump is spinning or hot and check whether any air maybe present in the system.

Went to the custards house today and the pump was scalding hot. Although all the rads bar one was hot and the boiler was running. System was full of air but I couldn't try to balance the system because the house was a fly tip lol. Also opened the screw on the pump and water was present which was boiling.

Last edited:
Did you try and spin the pump with a small screwdriver ? sounds as if its stuck.

It was spinning ok. I didn't physically look inside due to the water coming out. Also whilst there I had a call the my sister had been in a crash.

Last edited:
Not really mate. Didn't really wanna leave the customers so abruptly but needs must.
There system was full with sludge which was why he was trying to flush the rads through. The vent above the pump was blocked by sludge I had to poke it through with a nail.

That sounds like its in need of a major overall, makes you wonder how some of these systems ever work, Regards to your sister hope its nothing to serious.

She's fine thank you. I did suggest to the customer looking at upgrading the system, but as usual they can't afford it. Even with a new pump I can't imagine how long it would last.

Same old story then we have no money but can you fix it, Do they have new car, 50" tv & a couple of holidays a year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
You seem to have an understanding of what...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Oh dear. Plumber it is!! I chose the wrong...
Replies
Views
Z
Need more details. What boiler, what burner...
Replies
Views
Back