Remove TRV from hallway radiator | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Remove TRV from hallway radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing my 15 year old Potterton boiler for a Valiant.

My hallway has a radiator with a TRV and there is no thermostat. All the 12 radiators have TRVs on them. This is how the setup was when I bought the property 6 years ago.

The gas engineer who came to provide a quote said that we need to fit a thermostat in the hallway and hence we need to get rid of the TRV from the hallway radiator. That way, the temperature in the hallway will control when the boiler comes on.

Being a novice in this area, I am inclined to think that the boiler will only operate as long as it has to, to satisfy the demands from the individual radiators, and switch off otherwise. Even at present, the boiler is not running all the time.

Could somebody kindly explain the purpose of the thermostat and why we need to remove the TRV from the hallway radiator.

Thanks in advance.

its building regs and will turn the boiler off when the hall way / house is upto temp, the room thermostat normally goes in the coldest place

and the trv will interfear with the room stat, say the trv is on 2 and the room stat is on 24 the room stat wont get upto temp as the trv will shut down first

Just unscrew the TRV head so it isn't engaged.

Hang on, why has he asked you to do it? It's a three quid part and 10 minutes work and something any engineer can do as part of the installation while the system is drained down.

Just unscrew the TRV head so it isn't engaged.

Hang on, why has he asked you to do it? It's a three quid part and 10 minutes work and something any engineer can do as part of the installation while the system is drained down.
Think the OP was using the word WE loosely

Hang on, why has he asked you to do it? It's a three quid part and 10 minutes work.
A lockshield valve is a £3 part, but the new programmer/thermostat+installation will be significantly more than that. More like £75 – £150 probably.

I understand the mechanics now. I just wanted to ensure what the engineer suggested was appropriate.

Yes, "they" will remove/disengage the TRV.

And they have quoted for the thermostat (and Nest) separately.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Thank you. That's exactly what I have just...
Replies
Views
C
If your happy you can just use that one...
Replies
Views
All the radiators should be balanced with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
Back