Removed Thermostatic Mixer Valve - Now Hot Water Not Flowing | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Removed Thermostatic Mixer Valve - Now Hot Water Not Flowing in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

SkinnyDogg

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and looking for some advice please.

In our bathroom there is a thermostatic mixer valve under the bath. It only has a single pipe in and out which is the cold. After the valve the pipe then joins the hot water inlet for the bathroom. I adjusted the valve to its maximum setting but the water never got hot enough to have a decent bath or shower. Given that it only seemed to be regulating the amount of cold water entering the hot pipe before it hits the taps I decided to remove it. Because of positioning it wasn't possible to cut it out so I removed a section of pipe between the valve and the hot water pipe. I capped off the pipe either end assuming the water would then be ok........

Unfortunately, now when I turn on a hot water tap it is just a trickle. If it is left for half an hour it starts to flow cold at normal speed and then drops to a trickle as soon as it gets hot? The boiler is a vaillant 837 combi and downstairs still works fine. Any suggestions greatly appreciated?

Thanks

20151213_101902.jpg

Hmmmm..... It does look like this may be what I have done. What I don't get is why this would be feeding cold water into the hot water? If I have just removed the supply from this to the hot water pipe does that mean the hot water has only ever flowed at a trickle and has been topped up with cold water to get e decent flow?

Thanks

Hmmmm..... It does look like this may be what I have done. What I don't get is why this would be feeding cold water into the hot water? If I have just removed the supply from this to the hot water pipe does that mean the hot water has only ever flowed at a trickle and has been topped up with cold water to get e decent flow?

Thanks

It might have been a relic from an old system where the cold was converted to mains and the pressure reducing valve installed so as not to overwhelm gravity-fed hot.

Yes Pressure regulator / reducer

That chrome piece behind the PRV looks like a mixing valve or is it just a Chrome Tee, is that where the Cold went?

The setup originally would have been Mains cold to the bath (and sink and W.C)
Tank fed Hot to the Bath and sink.

At some point someone has fitted a shower mixer and found the Cold pressure too high so fitted the Pressure reducer.

Another photo of the chrome Tee or whatever it is would help.

Similar plumbing topics

V
  • Question
As above, and did you check the suitability of...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Thanks. I'll try to find a hard copy as I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you very much
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
Back